not sure if this is the right thread to post to

genesis1

Solid State Member
Hi

I decided to join as I'm building a new computer. My current computer is 7 years and it' time for replacement. I know very little about my home computer so I figured the best way to learn is build one. As one of my pet peeves is paying somebody to work on some ting I could fix or build. I do a lot my own car repairs and have built my own boat. I have purchased the parts over the past five months. And have purchase higher end parts then I probably need but will be nice for the future. I have assembly the computer but did not have much luck. I'm currently searching the forum for clues to the error of my ways. My system is;

• P6X58D-E - Motherboard
  • Intel i7-930
  • OCZ 3G1333LV6G DDR3
  • Radeon HD 5670 1GB
  • Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty
  • Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green
  • Corsair TX 750 W
  • Thermaltake V9 Blacx

So far I have found out I should be sticking to building boats and fixing cars. I tried to take my time and assemble it correctly and neatly. When I assembled everything I started it up and got to the BIOS and checked the settings. Then I made my first mistake as I set it to read the hard disc first. Then after a long struggle I found that I should set the DVD first. Then I tried to load windows 7 on the hard drive. This crashed after 10%. I figured this was because the hard drive was not formatted. After stumbling around in BIOS I thought I found a way to format the drive and did format c; /q. and I thought that did it. So I loaded on windows 7 again and got to over 90%, when it went CHKDSK/F. I think I hit enter and it came up BOOTMGR hit CTRL/ALT/DEL. I have not been able to get past this and even if I put the disc in it comes up as an error. It says:

• A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
  • If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this appears again, follow these steps.
  • Disable or uninstall any Anti virus (none installed), disk defragmentation (did not get that far) or back up utilities. Check your hard drive configuration and check for dated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.
  • Technical Information
  • XXX stop: 0X00000024 (0X00000000001904FB, OXFFFFF88002A88002A88128, 0XFFFFF88002A87980, 0XFFFFF8000CEB7A87

That was 4 days ago when I decided it would be best to start reading before I take another step. My feeling was I did not format the hard drive correctly and it has screwed it up! But that is just a wild guess. Any body have an idea what direction I should take?

The name Knottythots is the name of my boat!

you would be better off formatting the drive during the Windows installation.
I would delete the partition, then create it, then do a quick format.
and then do the windows install

"Knottythots" that's cool

Hi Detox

I would love to find a way to reformat the hard drive but can't get away to reformat. I was thinking of putting it my old computer but the wiring does not match.

go about installing Windows, read all the screens that come up. "Which type of installation do you want" Click CUSTOM, Then there will be an option that asks Where do you want to install Windows. click the drive once, then just below, you should see 'ADVANCED OPTIONS'
four new options pop up, click DELETE, when that is done, click NEW, then click FORMAT
and then go ahead with the install.

Just something to add while your trying things. The last few WD Green drives I have gotten have been some advanced format drive that required jumper settings based upon what was being done. Can you verify that the jumper is set properly? There should be a quick instructional thing right on the label.

Last night I stuck in the Windows 7 disc again and dam if it did not load. And it looked great. I then started loading in the various drivers and the errors started happening. I then decided that since I finally got in I should wipe it out and format the hard drive. Well it won't let me says I will lose this copy of windows but it gives me no other options. Ok I will get it going online, and that works. So I thought go to the windows site and down load the latest updates well that went 24% then error and restarted. I did that a couple of times. Then it went itself to CHECK DISC and ran a scan and found two errors and repaired them. I thought great try the drivers again. No luck error, shut down, did that three times and then it would not start again. By then it was time for bed.

Before i did this i pulled the hard drive and checked to see if the jumpers had to be changed. it said only for XP for all others it was ready to go. I will look at again tonight after the game (WJH).

Managed to finally format the hard drive in Windows 7 as outline by Detox. After formatting I reinstalled Windows an still got a disc error. I think this hard drive is no good and I think I will take it back and get a new one!

Hi

My system is up and running. I had two hardware failures on new products. The Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB hard drive and one stick of the three stick set of OCZ 3G 1333 ram was junk. So much for quality control.

Back
Top Bottom