new firewall, can i allow...

quinton

Baseband Member
i am running xp and have just installed a new firewall

is it safe to allow the following to connect to the internet or should i block them from connecting?:

-explorer.exe

-application layer gateway

-and another one i can't remember, like system 32 something or other?

many thanks if anyone could advise me please

happy new year

quinton

Yes to the first two and when did you receive the popup for sys32? Was it after installing new software? Opening a downloaded file?

Yes to the first two and when did you receive the popup for sys32? Was it after installing new software? Opening a downloaded file?

thank you very much

can't remember when it popped up, next time it does i'll post again

the explorer.exe one worried me a bit because it always asks for access when i am using files on my compute that don't need to connect to the internet, like when i am opening a file or something

thank you infectionzero

do you think the sys32 one might be dangerous?

like just now, explorer.exe tried to connect when i put a usb pen drive in my pc

why should that need to connect?

and i can't get online (open up new pages) through firefox unless i allow it which i find worrying

not sure what i was doing when it popped up i think i was just opening firefox but next time it happens i'll mark down what i was doing when it popped up

the sys32 one said this:

"generic host process for win 32 services

c:\windows\explorer.exe has tried to use svchost.exe through ole automation"

thank you very much for your helpful advice

Back
Top Bottom