Network Adapter

glbracer

Solid State Member
My school told me that after two years I could keep my school laptop forever. It was two years, so I upgraded the OS, and some of the function keys didn't work anymore. Every time the laptop came out of hibernate, sleep, etc, the network was turned off, so I hit function+F2 to turn it on. This no longer works, none of the function keys work. I need to find some way to turn on the network adapter. I tried troubleshooting, but it told me to try the function keys. There is also a little WiFi button above the keyboard, but that doesn't work either.

Reinstalling the OS will have wiped the drivers.

Chances are, there are drivers required for the function keys/hotkeys

Go to the manufacturers website, search for your laptop model number, and there should be driver downloads.

The problem is that I don't know anything aside from what I did to it. My school ordered from NCS Technologies so I don't know. I think it's a Toshiba, but not sure.

Nope, it has 'PACyber' on the top, PACyber use policy engraved on the bottom, I've already searched everywhere, including on the computer. The closest thing to brand name was Toshiba as one of the things, but everything else is just blank, no brand names or anything. The keyboard driver is from Microsoft, and I tried to update it. The name of the keyboard is 'Standard PS/2 Keyboard'.

Bump? This is kind of my work laptop, very important to me. It has all of my information, everything. So the faster I get an answer the better :D.
Description is - Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
Provider - Microsoft
Apparently, Windows can't diagnose of fix the problem, which I think is BS, if a function key can turn it on I think Windows can..
EDIT: By 'kind of my work laptop' I mean that I'm only a teenager and unemployed (not for long) and it has a whole ton of passwords and HTML, CSS, everything personal for mine.

Last edited:
A function key is only a link to an action on the PC.

Maybe there's an alternative wireless utility for it or something :\

I could try calling the school and see what drivers they had but then they would either ask me to send it back or that'd give away that I've installed a new OS. My friend made this thing that crashes the computer and deletes System32, but even then there's a chance they'll still know I did it. And my parents can't afford for them to know I did, these laptops cost like $1,000. Which I don't understand because the fan doesn't even work right, the vent on the side of the computer is falling apart and is cracked, and it's starting the happen on the other side. The screen can barely stay in place. I've only had the laptop for about a year. There's also two keys missing, but that's my fault :p.

There are gennerally more ways to turn the wireless network on. Also there should be a way in the power settings to turn off the option "turn off newtork to save power" or something like that.

Sounds like the school got some custom built laptops and if it's falling apart, either it's been abused or they were junk from the start. If the fan doesn't work, the laptop will overheat and too many overheats will start causing some major issues. Better start saving for a new laptop now.

Back
Top Bottom