Need Linux

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
OK, to make a real long story short, I need a linux distro (live, or installer) small enough to fit on a floppy (or smart enough to go on two). All i need it to do is recognize CD ROM that is plugged into USB so I can run the windows setup.exe and fix my lappy. Does anyone here know of any distro that can do that?

I don't know any of those, but can't you boot from a CD? You mentioned you had a CD-ROM. You should be able to boot from a USB CD-ROM if you go into the BIOS. Then again, if your computer is an older model, maybe not.
I'm sure if you look on google you could find something.

EH, my Lappy is too old to support booting from USB. Heck, it doesn't even mention USB in BIOS period if that tells you how old it is.

The big problem is, my lappy does not have a internal CD-Rom as of now. I'm working on getting one, but not sure what my luck will be.

any bios updates?
and isnt there some sort of linux boot disc you could use? im not sure if there is but worth a shot. you wont fit a whole os on a floppy

No BIOS updates that i've found. The bare-bones part of the lappy is built by Uniwill, and by the looks of it, what I have is the latest. But a true linux boot disk won't work since the only CD drive I have to use, is USB and I can't boot off of it.

i meant a floppy boot disk. just like a windows 98 floppy boot disc or w/e. then it lets you load from the cd rom

but dont linux do some sort of boot disc?
im a linux n00b but that would be ideal. i dunno if a windows one would work
on second thoughts it might. you only need it to run the cd

THe normal windows one doesn't work (should have mentioned that, sorry).

DJ-Chris gave me a link to some boot floppies that should work. I'll let ya know how it works.

Back
Top Bottom