Need Easy Explanation on Re-Install Windows that was done for me

P.I.M.P.

Beta member
hey guys, this is my current machine

HP Pavilion p6-2302ea Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion p6-2302ea Desktop PC | HP® Support

now my hard drive got corrupted and i didnt know what to do to recover my stuff so gave it to the computer shop to which i said do not re-install windows but just recover my data and you guy select the recovery option that i had on the system but from the looks of things on the link..it says i couldnt have reinstalled it anyway as it was an oem windows key.

theyv installed windows 8.1 for me, i had 8 previously but im slightly afraid that theyv installed pirated copy and got a product key elsewhere which wasnt my original product key that i had

what i wanted to ask was:

1) on a oem machine can i found out what my previous product key was, even aftr the re-install?

2) i dont think the install or the product key is geniune but im hoping you guys can school me on this, i just want a legit computer running, if this isnt the case shall i buy another product key if thats possible?

please help guys...my mind isnt resting over ths for some odd reason lol

cheers guys

Microsoft have made it a little more difficult now to locate the product key as they no longer put the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker on the side anymore. Its now embedded in the bios. This is a good program to locate the key http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ or Belarc Advisor will do the trick Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit, for software, hardware and security configuration information on your computer. Software license management, IT asset management, cyber security audits, and more.. If you are still having trouble you may need to contact HP Support..

They might have used the upgrade in windows metro,if so using the upgrade you dont need a new key.Best bet is to ask the tech what they did

Press the window key + "E". Then right click on a blank spot in the windows and click properties. scroll down to windows activation. If it says genuine, then all is fine. Don't worry about it.

Press the window key + "E". Then right click on a blank spot in the windows and click properties. scroll down to windows activation. If it says genuine, then all is fine. Don't worry about it.

Windows + Pause works as well, brings you right to the properties screen.

Many laptops now with 8 have the key built into the motherboard so there is no physical sticker. The DVD/installer finds this and installs Home/Pro based on what it sees (or so it was for the 3 laptops with 8 I've worked on at home).

With OEM licenses, you can re-install the OS on that laptop as many times as you need to legally. You just cannot use it on another computer.

As for the 8.1 install - That's legal for any valid windows 8 key. Think of 8.1 as "Service Pack 1" for windows 8. It's a free update. But at the end of the day, jazzo58 is correct. If you really want to know what happened in the shop, you'll need to ask them. Any reputable shop should be able to tell you/find out what their tech did.

Back
Top Bottom