Me

mheff

Beta member
Hi everyone I am brand new to the forum. I work with computers alot but some areas I don't get into very much so this is why I have come here. I guess I am also looking for ways to get things done without spending alot of money. Question is; I have a Dell with ME as the OS. Dell logo comes up the black screen and at the top it says "Starting windows ME" and that's it. I have used the rescue disk which I have tried booting up from a previous registry and still no go. In the process of booting up it will reconize the a: drive but doesn't seem to reconize the e: drive. (CD ROM). I know this info is vague but any assistance will be appreciated.
PS: For sometime I have been going to upgrade but didn't happen before I got my information off which may be gone forever now.
Thanks, :confused:

Your information is not gone. And your OS is Windows ME, not Dell, as Dell is just the manufacture of the PC you have. Windows ME was the worst OS Microsoft ever put out- in fact, they no longer support it. You said you had planned on upgrading. If you go with an Upgrade Windows XP, you should be able to run the upgrade, and all your files should still be there. Some applications may not work with the upgrade, but at least you're not loosing everything.

Thanks for your reply. I guess where I am stuck at now is how to get the system going again. It just comes up to the comment and says "Windows ME starting" and that's where it sits. I have tried the reboot disc and all I get is a help page to tell me what to do like safe mode, etc. but seems like the computer has not booted up far enough to activate some of these alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom