Major problem with computer

Buddy_Williams

Beta member
For awhile now I been having alot of issues with my computer.... for starters I can't even turn off my computer when I go to the Start menu.....i want to wipe out the system and start fresh.....I know I need to put any files that I don't want to be lost on CD-RW or DVD-RW.....but I also know that I would need the XP (or any OS for that matter) boot up disk.....and I think that is where my problem actually began from....

So what I would like to know, since I tried to download the boot disk files already....and that wasn't successful, what can I do now??? (*Note*I don't have the XP CD to begin with, when I purchased the Desktop Computer....it never came with it)

sorry for the N00b question guys, any help would be great.

BW

(*Note*I don't have the XP CD to begin with, when I purchased the Desktop Computer....it never came with it)

sorry for the N00b question guys, any help would be great.

BW
You're stuffed without the cd.

Option one: Go back to the seller and explain nicely that it is illegal to sell a pc with XP installed and not supply XP cds or recovery disks and you want your disks

Option two: Buy XP

Option Three: Buy Vista

EDIT: Another thought, which version of XP? Is the pc a brand name pc with an oem version of XP? or is the XP a retail version?

If it is a retail version use a programme like Magic Jellybean, PC Wizard etc to retrieve your XP key from your os install and borrow a disk to use or get someone to burn you a copy or (dodgiest method) d/load a copy.

ATF, the version installed is XP Home Edition.....I searched the forums here somewhat...and came up with something that looked promising...but in the end the program was never able to write to a disk, so as it stands I'm SOL:) .....

any rate I'll continue my search, thanks for all pieces of advice;

BW

I also know that I would need the XP (or any OS for that matter) boot up disk.....and I think that is where my problem actually began from....

Buddy,

You say that you could use any OS. Have you ever thought about using Linux?
There are a lot of easy to use OS's out there that are very user friendly for a Beginner to the Linux world. If I were to recommend one I would recommend Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com This is a very graphical desktop interface. Pluses of Ubuntu are that they have a great Forum. Any question that gets asked on there usually gets answered within minutes. Plus they have a great community docs, and other helpful stuff.

The best part about linux is that it is open source and FREE. Just think about that as another option to your os problem.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom