Locked out of laptop

greenevening

Beta member
Hi, I updated all the drivers on my laptop and when I restarted the touchpad no longer works and I can't click the username to log in. I tried plugging in a mouse and it still didn't respond. I am running Windows XP, but I'm not sure of a workaround way to click on the username so I can log back in, any suggestions? Thanks!

Well if you have a licensed copy of Windows XP or another version you will have to reinstall, Make sure to have all your files backed up.

you shouldn't need to go for the reinstall right away.

Try booting into safe mode, or even the last known good configuration (both are options if you tap F8 on bootup). In safe mode you can try doing a system restore to a point before you updated all the drivers, and the last known good configuration should have a similar effect.

Run hirens boot cd, it will allow you into your computer even if your lock out. Good luck let me know how it goes

and you don't need to take out your drive, if you want to access your files. Boot of a Linux Live USB stick or CD, you can then access your had disc. Copy files over the network or onto a USB stick, then do a fresh install.

But I'd use a utility to reset password first.

Back
Top Bottom