linux, and desktop

TOWT

In Runtime
I Had just bought a nice computer and i plan to use both xp pro and linux would using the kde desktop be a good choice? what linux distro should i use?

I would recommend SuSE for your first distro. As for you dektop environment, investigate multiple environments and decide for yourself. I peresonally like KDE, but many people differ.

Suse is a good OS but it's not free. Only the Personal edition is free and i personally think it sucks. Try Fedora Core. Its not very stable and all but it does have a wide range of packages to select from. KDE is supposed to be more "functional" than GNOME but i personally prefer GNOME cos it's faster and the interface is cleaner. It s best to install both and try them out yourself.

Mepis is also makes a good desktop OS, IMHO.

It is debian based but has some of the best hardware detection I've seen. Its clean and pretty fast.

iamroot said:
Suse is a good OS but it's not free. Only the Personal edition is free and i personally think it sucks. Try Fedora Core. Its not very stable and all but it does have a wide range of packages to select from. KDE is supposed to be more "functional" than GNOME but i personally prefer GNOME cos it's faster and the interface is cleaner. It s best to install both and try them out yourself.
If the only reason somebody goes and uses Linux is that its Cheaper than Windows they have their priorities wrong.

Personally I would download the eval cd of suse pro 9.2 which is free off the suse ftp server. it's about 3.1 gb though. The best way to choose a distro of linux is to use the various live cd which are available, they load into your ram and don't install onto your hard disk. See hich one you like best and download the full thing - which can be up to 5 cd's.

Personally I prefer KDE over gnome becuase it is more user friendly.

Don't try Gentoo for your first distro of linux as it has to be installed off a command line, which can be confusing if your not used to linux.

Back
Top Bottom