KVM-like mouse sharing software without LAN access

jaredb14

Beta member
Greetings,

I have two laptops, one is a PC with Windows 7 and the other is a Mac with OS X (currently 10.10). I am trying to use the same mouse and keyboard with both computers, and I want to be able to simply drag the mouse from one screen to the other instead of hitting a switch. I tried to use the program Sharemouse, but it didn't work. I suspect the problem was that the program requires LAN access, and since I'm currently using my university's network, there either isn't appropriate access to the LAN because of security reasons, or possibly there is a WAN instead. I'm not opposed to using a hardware solution, as long as I can drag the cursor off the edge of one screen and onto the other screen without hitting a switch. I would like to share the clipboard among the computers but it's definitely not necessary.

So my question is what other options do I have to accomplish this with presumably no LAN access?

Thanks for the help and I apologize if I've poorly explained anything as I'm not much of an expert.

I'm not sure you will find what you're looking for in a hardware solution. Probably the best you can do is a simple USB KVM and you will have to press a button (or perhaps keyboard combination) to switch between machines.

Are you sure there is no network connectivity between the two? if both machines are on the same subnet they should be able to ping each other directly. If they are connected to the same network switch then they're on the same subnet.

The software solution that I have used for this is synergy. They used to be freeware but it looks like they've gone commercial now. Still, it's a cheap software at only $10. The site: Synergy - Mouse and keyboard sharing software But it does require network access.

Back
Top Bottom