Installing Drivers after Clean Install Windows 7

mscutt

Beta member
Hello,

I recently purchased a Dell laptop, and I would like to upgrade my current Windows 7 Home Premium OS to Windows 7 Professional through a clean install to remove the software Dell added to my configuration. I have visited Dell's Drivers and Downloads website for my system (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=W764&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=1XNMBN1&SystemID=StudioXPS1645&hidos=WV64&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False), but there appear to be updates relating to the Dell software that I plan on removing. Which of the drivers/updates in this list should I download if I am not using any Dell software (DataSafe, etc.)?

Also in this list are downloads for mobile broadband (which I do not have), and multiple CD/DVD downloads which I would think would only require one. My configuration is here (http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/details?c=us&cs=2684&l=en&s=pub&servicetag=1xnmbn1) if that helps. I'm sure downloading all of them would work fine, but I like to have only what I need on my computer.

I also noticed that some of my hardware might be missing from this list. Do all hardware require drivers (or at least drivers would be helpful in terms of performance)? If so, can I find drivers from the respective manufacturer websites?

There are also a few programs I wish to keep through the clean install. Are those programs saved exclusively in the Program Files folder (so that to back them up I can just copy the folder of the program I want? Or will I have to search for additional files elsewhere, and is there an easy way to do that? Also, in Windows 7 (or at least on my laptop), there are two Program Files folders, one having a (x86) after it. Both appear to house the majority of programs, but a few are only in Program Files and a few are only in Program Files (x86). What is the difference?

A few program questions:

Is the Dell Touchpad software required for the touchpad to function? For those who have experience with Dell laptops

What is Quickset64? Is it required for my laptop to function?

Please answer any one of my questions if you can - I don't want to lose responses because people feel obligated to answer my entire post :) I am interested in whatever information you can give me! Sorry I have so many questions - I'm new to the idea of drivers (I barely made it through the clean install of Windows 7 tutorial when they had to bring them up!)

Thanks!

So far, the Windows Update function in 7 has been excellent at finding appropriate drivers. The only thing I have had to install drivers for is printers, and I just chose to use Windows Update during the printer installation process. Very painless.

Welcome to CF!

Nice laptop!

Hello,

I recently purchased a Dell laptop, and I would like to upgrade my current Windows 7 Home Premium OS to Windows 7 Professional through a clean install to remove the software Dell added to my configuration. I have visited Dell's Drivers and Downloads website for my system (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=W764&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=1XNMBN1&SystemID=StudioXPS1645&hidos=WV64&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False), but there appear to be updates relating to the Dell software that I plan on removing. Which of the drivers/updates in this list should I download if I am not using any Dell software (DataSafe, etc.)?

You need everything except:
Applications
Bios
Diagnostics
System Utilities

Also in this list are downloads for mobile broadband (which I do not have), and multiple CD/DVD downloads which I would think would only require one. My configuration is here (http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/details?c=us&cs=2684&l=en&s=pub&servicetag=1xnmbn1) if that helps. I'm sure downloading all of them would work fine, but I like to have only what I need on my computer.

The reason for the multiple CD Downloads is; those are firmware updates to the drive itself, you find whichever you have and apply those firmware updates that correspond to the name.

I also noticed that some of my hardware might be missing from this list. Do all hardware require drivers (or at least drivers would be helpful in terms of performance)? If so, can I find drivers from the respective manufacturer websites?

What hardware is missing from the list?

There are also a few programs I wish to keep through the clean install. Are those programs saved exclusively in the Program Files folder (so that to back them up I can just copy the folder of the program I want? Or will I have to search for additional files elsewhere, and is there an easy way to do that? Also, in Windows 7 (or at least on my laptop), there are two Program Files folders, one having a (x86) after it. Both appear to house the majority of programs, but a few are only in Program Files and a few are only in Program Files (x86). What is the difference?

You can't really keep the program through the install. You will need to reinstall them all from scratch. If there certain program settings you want to keep, then there will be a Windows.old folder on your C: drive where the old Program Files folder will be, you can copy the contents of the old installation into the new one to retain settings, but that's it.
The difference in the Program Files directory tells you which architecture the Programs were designed for. x86 is 32bit, whereas the normal Program Files folder houses the 64bit programs.

Is the Dell Touchpad software required for the touchpad to function?

Nope!

What is Quickset64? Is it required for my laptop to function?

It's a power management program from Dell, no you don't need it.

Back
Top Bottom