i need some help with xp and 2000

coldcanada

Beta member
hi i just finished installing a windows 2000 partition on my windows xp system and i can no longer boot into xp
i can boot into 2000 and can access the xp partition from there
so far i have determined that when i try to boot into xp my system tries to boot into 2000 from my xp partition and so it gives me an error message the the file
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMd is corrupt
can anyone help with this issue?
thanks

I had this problem trying to dual boot Win98 and XP. I finally found somewhere that XP has to be installed after any other versions of Windows for this to work, no matter what kind of partitions you are using. Once I reinstalled XP after 98 was installed, it then started giving me a prompt at boot up to choose which one to boot into. It is something to do with the Master Boot Record. This is probably true with a XP/2000 dual boot setup.

I've installed windows 2000 after windows XP before, you have to installl windows 98 first when duel booting win98 winXP becasue windows 98 uses a bootloader based in the boot sector whilst the boot sector on windows NT based machines point to a bootloader (boot.ini).
If your windows 2000 build is trying to boot from your XP partition the first thing to check is this file, then I think the windows 2000 installation would be next on the list.

Back
Top Bottom