How are OS's installed w/o Floppy?

Say I got a laptop without a floppy drive or cd drive or anythign and it has Windows 95. How did they Install the OS? was it programmed into the motherboard? Just a curious question I don't actually have a laptop or anything like that nor have I run 95.

you can boot from CD's...

also most laptops have modular drives and so the CD drive can be taken out and swapped with a floppy drive..
also there are laptop drive adaptors that allow internal laptop drives to be powered and read from the parallel port.

well also they could have just preinstalled everything on the hard drive before they put it into the laptop and then had a script that deleted everything that is not for the laptop afterwards.

vegaslon said:
well also they could have just preinstalled everything on the hard drive before they put it into the laptop and then had a script that deleted everything that is not for the laptop afterwards.
Thats right I didn't think of that but for laptops and desktops aren't there seperate kinds of hard drives? If not then technically I could Install XP on my Hard Drive on my desktop and move the Hard Drive to the laptop.....I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Windows 2000 does pretty much the same.. yeah my floppy drive gave out.. I never did replace it lol.

on my bios....

on my bios it has a option to "boot from network" could it of just installed itsself from the network???

Back
Top Bottom