How does UAC know what to block?

adamd1

Baseband Member
When I run Truecrypt, ccleaner, JKDefrag for example, UAC pops up.

But when I run other things like BF2142, Windows Live, Softphone, Skype, Virtualbox, UAC never pops up.

How come? And what makes UAC select what to popup for and what not to popup for?

When I run Truecrypt, ccleaner, JKDefrag for example, UAC pops up.

But when I run other things like BF2142, Windows Live, Softphone, Skype, Virtualbox, UAC never pops up.

How come? And what makes UAC select what to popup for and what not to popup for?

Plain and simple, Truecrypt, ccleaner, etc need administrator permission because they modify the system in some way or another. Games and most other software just needs a computer to run on and doesn't modify the computer / OS in any way other than writing to allowed location on the hard drive and the registery. Truecrypt installs drivers to run, and ccleaner modifys system files.

Plain and simple, Truecrypt, ccleaner, etc need administrator permission because they modify the system in some way or another. .....

How does UAC know what programs modify the system in some way or another?

Either in a .manifest file, or a .manifest that's embedded in the .exe. Also if the filename is called something like Setup* or Instal*.

How does UAC know what programs modify the system in some way or another?

Plain and simple, Truecrypt, ccleaner, etc need administrator permission because they modify the system in some way or another. Games and most other software just needs a computer to run on and doesn't modify the computer / OS in any way other than writing to allowed location on the hard drive and the registery. Truecrypt installs drivers to run, and ccleaner modifys system files.
When the program requests Administrator permission, the UAC will ask for it.

Either in a .manifest file, or a .manifest that's embedded in the .exe. Also if the filename is called something like Setup* or Instal*.

I just find it interesting how UAC is "intelligent" enough to popup a warning when running ccleaner for example. But not when I run Easycleaner which does same things as ccleaner does.

So why does UAC stop CCleaner but not Easycleaner?

What tells UAC exactly to stop CCleaner and not Easycleaner? You are saying the "headers" in the .exe file? Is that how UAC works, by deciding what to stop and what to allow by something written into the "header" of .exe files? Because then a lot of nasty programmers could easily bypass UAC.

Anyone know?

I just find it interesting how UAC is "intelligent" enough to popup a warning when running ccleaner for example. But not when I run Easycleaner which does same things as ccleaner does.

So why does UAC stop CCleaner but not Easycleaner?

What tells UAC exactly to stop CCleaner and not Easycleaner? You are saying the "headers" in the .exe file? Is that how UAC works, by deciding what to stop and what to allow by something written into the "header" of .exe files? Because then a lot of nasty programmers could easily bypass UAC.

Anyone know?

To have access to certain folders and files you need Administrator rights.
For a program (A .exe) to have those rights, on vista.. It needs to ask for them. This is basically what the UAC is. Just Windows giving you the option to give a program Administrator rights.

The difference between CCleaner and Easycleaner. May be something as simple as CCleaner has power to change the registry.

To have access to certain folders and files you need Administrator rights.
For a program (A .exe) to have those rights, on vista.. It needs to ask for them. This is basically what the UAC is. Just Windows giving you the option to give a program Administrator rights.

The difference between CCleaner and Easycleaner. May be something as simple as CCleaner has power to change the registry.

Easycleaner also cleans and alters the registry, so I wonder why UAC doesn't complain about that ?

It's not actually in the *header* of an .exe file, but it is in the .exe. Try opening a .exe file in notepad (if the licence allows this), and look for readable content. If it is not a legacy program, and it needs to elevate, you'll see it in there.

Back
Top Bottom