How to clean up my Sony Vaio?

dspur15

Beta member
Alright here's my specs

Model- Sony Vaio VPCF122FX

Processor- Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 Ghz

OS- Windows 7 Home Premium

RAM- 4GB

I guess I know more about computers than the average person but i'm no expert so try to not go too technical on me.

I got my Vaio in August, 2010 for use at college. When I got it, it had a bunch of useless sony junk on it. I haven't ever used any of it and don't really do any media editing or anything like that. All I really use the laptop for is internet browsing, Microsoft office, and playing the occasional game. As far as maintenance I've run CCleaner before and disk defrag every once in a while too. I also do a weekly virus scan with AVG free edition. I just cut out all the unnecessary startup programs but i'm still running about 95 processes with no programs open. That seems to be way too many. I thought about posting the whole list of processes but it would be much too long. If this would be helpful for accurately answering my question please let me know and I will post it.

I know lots of people like to "clean" their Vaios right out of the box and I regret not doing that. Would it make sense to just make a backup file of all my important docs and reformat the hard drive and reinstall the OS or should I take other steps? I've also heard that there's problems with some sort of Sony system recovery tool that leaves behind digital junk (empty files, reg errors, ect) Any info on this? Any help or recommendations I could get for this would be great. Thanks!

Allright, first of all i recommend some general cleaning and registry fixes with the Program "CCleaner"

Piriform - Download CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy - Millions of users worldwide!

Next Step would be Defragmenting the Harddisk (this is not deleting any files!)
This could take a while, but let it run.

i recommend:
Disk Defrag - Fast and Safe Defragmenter for Your Disks

Next Step: Deactivate Programs you dont really use when starting up the PC

Press and hold the Windows button, then Press "R" (or just search for msconfig with the windows search function)
This should open a little box which is called "Run"
Type in: "msconfig" and hit enter
Go to the tab "Startup" and simply deactivate the Programs you dont want to start up together with Windows (Often results in a waaaay faster Boot time ;)
(These are also the unneccesary "Processes" you were talking about).

Well, thats what i mostly do, it really hope it helps you out.
(This is just basic things you should do once in a while)

Back
Top Bottom