Help! XP Home + Ubuntu

rul99

Solid State Member
I installed Ubuntu in my laptop which had xp home previously installed from the OEM. I wanted a dual boot. Ubuntu works ok, the problem is that I can't boot windows xp. When I restart it gives me the option to boot windows but it comes back with the next message:

Starting up...
A disk read error occured
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

The partition was done from the Ubunto installation disk during the installation (perhaps that was the mistake?)

I only have the recovery disk that came with the laptop when I bought it.

Is there anything I can do to be able to boot windows. I wouldn't mind if I had to erase ubunto and star all over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I am not sure off hand what happened with the install. Usaully that doen't happen with Ubuntu on the install. I usually hear about other errors. Go ahead and do a repair install with the disk. Then we can work on getting you going with your Dualboot.

Cheers!

Hi,

Go ahead and do a repair install with the disk. Then we can work on getting you going with your Dualboot.

Cheers!

Hi,
I did a repair install with the disk. I got it back to the out-of-box state and xp home is working fine.

What do you advice for dual boot w/ubuntu? winxp is taking the entire hdd in a single partition.
I'm looking at the Ubuntu forums but any comment would be appreciated.

Thank you for your help and time.

Hi,

I would recommend that you take a look at this guide. It is something that I wrote a while back and is up-to-date when it comes to installing ubuntu. I would also recommend that you take a look at the graphical install link at the bottom. This might give you some help too.

If you have any question before the install please ask, and I will do my best.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom