Help restoring Windows XP or 98

MJ0497

Beta member
Hi, I'm trying to help out a friend with his computer... he originally had Windows 98 on his computer, but when he went to college a friend loaded Windows XP on his computer because it's more recent. It was running fine but then he had a problem with the internet connection and put in his Windows 98 restore CD in to get his computer back to factory settings. But while it was restoring, it froze and it can't get past a certain point. Now, when he turns on the computer it says " No operating system found" and he can't do anything. What is the best solution? Should he buy an upgrade for XP? Or is there anything he might be able to do? Thanks so much in advance!!

It sounds like something else is wrong with his computer.
First and foremost- was any data important on the drive? It can still probably be recovered if he hasn't tried too many times. College has a world of documents- that's why I ask.
If nothing on the drive is of importance, simply put the restore disk in, and restart the computer. When it stops, it should give you some type of error. If it just freezes, then it could be a CD ROM issue, a Disk issue, or any one of many other factors.
This restore disc- where did it come from? What type of computer is it?
Personally- I wouldn't buy the upgrade, simply because the machine had 98 on it, which lets me know that there is not much more upgrading you can do to the computer. Try to get the system specs (Processor, Ram, HD, etc.) or a model number, and I'll be able to tell you if it's worth the upgrade. Reason I want to do this, is because if it's not taking 98- it may not take XP again- for whatever reason. Post back with the specs, and any errors you encounter.

I'm pretty sure he's fine with losing everything on the computer, that's why he was ok with restoring to factory settings. The Windows 98 restore cd was the CD that was provided when he bought the computer. It's a compaq presario 7594. It may very well be a CD-ROM issue but I wouldn't think it would read the CD at all if the CD-ROM drive was a problem. Although now I don't think it is reading the disc.

Back
Top Bottom