Ftp or not to ftp

Gnome_Ersy

Beta member
I have to set up a Computer on a separate domain on another campus shared by two colleges. The computer is simply a sign in computer using an access form to collect student data, we (the university I work for) use a drive mapping, normally I would simply map to the drive and when a student Logs in and hits submit it goes straight to the mapped drive.

Meanwhile, I cannot do this on the other campus. I was thinking of using FileZilla as an FTP solution. However, I don't know how to make it automatically upload. Does anyone know how to either get FileZilla to do this for me or another free program that can? Oh, and to also maintain the directory connection. I know how to zero out the time so it won't disconnect. But, it is still not maintaining the connection, it still times out. The campus is 15 miles from where I work out of, so the thought of having to drive to there to upload data.

If you understand what I am asking please respond with some form of help. Of course any help is and will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and have a nice day.

I have to set up a Computer on a separate domain on another campus shared by two colleges. The computer is simply a sign in computer using an access form to collect student data, we (the university I work for) use a drive mapping, normally I would simply map to the drive and when a student Logs in and hits submit it goes straight to the mapped drive.

Meanwhile, I cannot do this on the other campus. I was thinking of using FileZilla as an FTP solution. However, I don't know how to make it automatically upload. Does anyone know how to either get FileZilla to do this for me or another free program that can? Oh, and to also maintain the directory connection. I know how to zero out the time so it won't disconnect. But, it is still not maintaining the connection, it still times out. The campus is 15 miles from where I work out of, so the thought of having to drive to there to upload data.

If you understand what I am asking please respond with some form of help. Of course any help is and will be greatly appreciated.

Could you use something like Dropbox? It would require the data to be uploaded to a 3rd party server, but that would only be a problem if it needs to be super secure or there's a policy that it can't be stored off-site.

Personally I would use box.com. It cost's a little, but will save you the messing about with the added bonus you can access from everywhere.

start my computer
map network drive
click the link that says "connect to a web site that you can use to store your documents and pictures"
follow the wizard to add the FTP site with username and password.

now your FTP site is mapped just like a shared drive and has a drive letter etc.

Back
Top Bottom