Dual Booting

Nashlabs

Beta member
I have Windows XP Home. How do I partition my HD, install Linux Suse, and make a dual boot system? P.S. I have no money, so Partition Magic is out of the question.

This is what I do when I reformat my computer. I used to tri boot windows, debian, and openBSD but at the moment only windows. The process should be the same with suse

dl Bootit...
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download646.html

And resize your partition so that there is your windows partition and a blank partition. Once you do that you can create the linux partitions(usually 3-4) when you install linux.

You create the Master Boot Record during the linux installation process. The master boot record tells the computer which OS's are installed and in which one has priority over the rest. I use linux most often so gentoo has priority over windows and BSD. Which means it will boot first If I don't choose and OS.

This isn't the only way to do it but I found that It is easier to resize your windows partition and create a blank partition before you begin the linux installation. Than to do it during the installation.

If you already have an existing windows partition on ur hard disk then why dont you just install Suse in the free space and use Grub as your bootloader. It's the simplest way. Grub wuill detect ur Windows OS and give you the option to boot into it at startup,

Doesn't Suse have a Boot Loader and Partition Tool?

If you don't have any Partitions you'll have to reinstall Windows, but that will make it easier because then you can Partition your new setup from the Windows Installer, then use this Boot Loader and install onto a Fat32 Drive (you choose Fat32 or NTFS when you Format a Partition in Windows Installer).

Back
Top Bottom