Debian 6.0 Post install help!

Xargon1

Beta member
Just installed Debian 6.0 on my old Sony VAIO and after I do my first login, it gives me a message saying:

"The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software; the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
beeblebrox@Slartibartfast:~$_ "
:ermm: :confused:
How exactly do I get past this? I'm pretty sure GNOME is installed.
Thanks!

Last edited:
This sounds like you had installed only the base system without desktop environment (I don't know if this is what you want).

The first step I would do are:

1.- Install the latest updates and a desktop environment with the desktop manager
2.- With a fancier looking desktop, install the remaining drivers (graphic card, bluetooth, wireless network card...)
3.- Install all sort of software that you want :angel:

------------------------------

1.-
Login into root with su, it will ask for your root password

Code:
jackpanzer@rabidalap$ su
Password:
root@rabidalap# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Here you have the Debian wiki for the desktop environment to choose the one you like it the most or suits for your pc but; knowing that is an old laptop, I would choose LXDE or XFCE

Code:
h**p://wiki.debian.org/DesktopEnvironment?action=show&redirect=CategoryDesktopEnvironment

2.-
Even when you are in a desktop environment, you can open a linux shell to install the remaining drivers

3.-
Some desktop environments have a software center and in the debian package webpage you can perform searches in order to find the applications you want

Back
Top Bottom