Computer Forums

Computer Forums (http://www.computerforums.org/forums/)
-   Software and Operating Systems (http://www.computerforums.org/forums/software-operating-systems/)
-   -   Computer shuts down (http://www.computerforums.org/forums/software-operating-systems/computer-shuts-down-212687.html)

ribakit01 08-20-2011 08:04 AM

Computer shuts down

please help. I have a Dell 360. Simple set up: Windows XP. MS Office. Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard.
The computer randomly shuts off. No warning. The screen goes black. The light in the 'on-button' remains on, you can hear the fans and the hard-drive spinning, but nothing brings it back to on mode. It sounds like it's hibernating, but without waking up. The only way to get it back is to hard boot it off by holding the 'on-button' and then switching it on again.:mad:
Thank you
PS not sure if Hardware or Software problem.

BikerEcho 08-20-2011 09:02 AM

Re: Computer shuts down

is it when you are not using your pc. like watching a movie or something without you touching the keyboard or mouse.
if so:
have you overclocked the cpu?
overclocked cpu's dont like hibernating. i have a core i7 920 and if i overclock it to more the 3,3 ghz, it will do the same thing.
so you have to turn off hibernating.

ribakit01 08-20-2011 12:44 PM

The computer will shut off at any time. Usually durring a function like looking up stuff on the internet or typing a word doc. Very irregular.
How do you overclock or under clock the cpu? Can I underclock it so it doesn't hybernate? I don't want it to hybernate at all, but it seems that's what it's doing. (Hybernating without the option of waking)l

BikerEcho 08-20-2011 12:56 PM

i think you are missunderstanding something. underclocking will not help. it is just that hypernating is most likely not working when overclocked, but you dont have your PC overclocked.
i dont think now that it is hypernating.
does the fans spin faster when it happens?
does any screen come to show. like a blue screen or i black screen with some text?
have you tryed to have sound on at the time where it goes black. if so, did the sound continue?

ribakit01 08-20-2011 02:51 PM

The Hybernating is disabled. Should I enable it?
the screen turns black. no text or arrows show up. the fans and the hard drive keep spinning, but not any faster.

sjw40364 08-20-2011 06:00 PM

Do you have access to a different monitor to eliminate that as a possible cause? What temp is your graphic card running at? If you do not know here is a free program to find out.
GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility
This will at least tell us if it is a heating issue on the GPU.
Also unhook your monitor cables and blow out the connectors then make sure it is seated firmly, you would be surprised at how many times things are related to dirty or loose cables.
Also is your monitor power supplied by the computer or a separate power brick?
How old is your computer? Laptop, desktop? Separate graphics card or integrated graphics card?

ribakit01 08-21-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjw40364 (Post 1095939)
do you have access to a different monitor to eliminate that as a possible cause? will try different monitor what temp is your graphic card running at? If you do not know here is a free program to find out.
gpu-z video card gpu information utility
this will at least tell us if it is a heating issue on the gpu. will try running gpu-z video
also unhook your monitor cables and blow out the connectors then make sure it is seated firmly, you would be surprised at how many times things are related to dirty or loose cables. checked cables all clean and secure
also is your monitor power supplied by the computer or a separate power brick? power from the same power strip (not from cpu)
how old is your computer? Laptop, desktop? Separate graphics card or integrated graphics card?

desktop about six years old. Graphics card not sure.

ribakit01 08-22-2011 09:09 AM

I am getting this message: 'monitor is in power save mode, turn on using pc'
I will try a different monitor.

sjw40364 08-22-2011 09:50 AM

Borrow one from a friend before you buy, it may be a GPU or cord issue and not a monitor issue. Also take your monitor to a friends house and try it ion theirs.

ribakit01 08-23-2011 08:32 PM

we tightened all the connections. it seemed to work the whole day. as i was watching you tube later that day the screen shut off again. i plugged in a different monitor and then the computer showed a message that the graphics card needed updated drivers. i set it up to update automatically.
is there another way to update the graphics card driver?

sjw40364 08-23-2011 08:58 PM

Run the GPU Z utility from the link I provided earlier, it will tell you the manufacturer of the graphics card and what type of card it is. You can then go the manufacturers website and download the latest drivers directly from them. That is always the best way.
And updating Windows automatically does not update your graphic card drivers automatically, just your operating system. When you run the utility the information you need will be on the first tab in the section "Name:"
Write that down, you will usually find it on the manufacturers website under support, although some have a tab directly for drivers.

ribakit01 08-24-2011 08:12 PM

Ran the GPU-Z.
it gave me the driver version: ati2mtag 6.14.10.6426 (catalyst 4.3) / XP
everywhere i go to try and download, i come to a dead end. so no update yet.

sjw40364 08-24-2011 09:30 PM

Yah, that's an error message. Start here.
AMD Graphics Drivers & Software
Select the auto detect and install for the 2nd option, will be a bigger file, but will get you what you need. If this doesn't work then your card is likely going out or overclocked and overheating.

ribakit01 08-24-2011 10:42 PM

tried 2nd option. Downloaded and ran amddriverdownloader. Got message: 2/We were unable to find your product or OS.
Yesterday I did connect a 17" flat screen monitor. Also set the desktop display properties to 'none' and set the display settings to '1152 by 864' and the machine (monitor) did not shut off all day.

sjw40364 08-25-2011 03:31 AM

could be your monitor then. But the error message you got (ati2mtag 6.14.10.6426) is usually related to the video card, but maybe the monitor was causing it. Try running the cpu z with the monitor that works and let me know what it says under the name and well get you the right drivers.

ribakit01 08-25-2011 07:59 AM

The GPU-Z reads as follows:
Name: ATI FireGLX1 (Microsoft Corporation)
GPU: R300
Technology: 150 nm
Die Size: 218 mm2
Release Date: 2002
Transistor: 107M
BIOS Version: (C) 1988-2003, ATI Technologies Inc. BK-GER VER...
Device ID: 1002 - 4E47
Subvendor: ATI (1002)
ROPs: 8
Bus Interface: AGP 8x @ 8x
Shaders: 8 Pixel / 4 Vertex
DirectX Support: 9.0 / SM2.0
Pixel FIllrate: 2.6 GPixel/s
Texture Fillrate: 2.6 GT exel/s
Memory Type: DDR
Bus Width: 256
Memory Size: 128 MB
Bandwidth: 19.9 GB/s
Driver Version: ati2mtag 6.14.10.6462 (Catalyst 4.3) / XP
GPU Clock: 324 MHz
Memory 311 MHz
Default Clock: 325 MHz
Memory: 310 MHz
ATI CrossFire: Disabled

sjw40364 08-25-2011 09:23 AM

Your GPU is an ATI FireGL X1 R300. This should take care of your driver.
ATI Drivers for Windows XP, Vista & Windows 7
Although since you were able to run the GPU Z with a different monitor it could be a monitor issue and not graphic card related, although updating your drivers certainly will not hurt anything.
You can also get the entire catalyst suite here, or just the drivers. The first link contains only the drivers.
ATI Catalyst
I would download the entire suite and then try the other monitor again, if it still causes problems then likely it is monitor related.

ribakit01 08-25-2011 09:35 AM

Ok will try the ATI Drivers for Windows.

ribakit01 08-25-2011 05:21 PM

Is it possible to download a driver for free?
Anyone of these sites I get are asking for a credit card.

Make Windows Driver Hassles a Thing of the Past!

https://safecart.com/wf_images/limited-offer-tag.png
$10.00 Off the regular retail price

Now Only $39.95 $29.95

I can't afford the $30.00

I downloaded the Catalyst Software Suite, started to install it and got this message:
'setup did not find driver compatible with your current system'

ribakit01 08-27-2011 08:10 AM

Downloaded and installed driver:

ATI FireGL

hopefully this will do the trick.
thank you.