Age of Empires II and Windows 7 x64

The_Lucas

Daemon Poster
As my signature states, I love playing AOE II: TC. But now I have added an addition to my large software collection: Windows 7 Ultimate x64. My new favorite OS, it has made many improvements over XP. But back to the question:

When I run AOE II on Win7, the landscape is in weird colors. The sea is purple, the grass and dirt have a grid and look horrible, and it's driving me insane that I can't ditch XP yet and free up a 30 GB partition. I have run the compatibility wizard, tried all the different combinations of compatibility options, disabled Aero and made 7 look like 2000, and closed all my background programs. I think it's a graphics conflict.

Here are my specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU at 2.4 GHz (single core, no HAV)
nVidia 7300GT graphics card with 256 MB VRAM.
I have run AOE II in a virtual machine running XP, and it didn't have issues except it was slow. On my XP installation, the problem would occur when I had a program called Simple Sticky Notes running, mainly because I set the notes to transparent. However, this program isn't running when I run AOE II on 7.

I have gotten XP Mode for 7, however I think it's not going to work right until I have a CPU with HAV. It seems to use Remote Desktop to view the VM, which is stupid because RD can't take advantage of Direct X. So I've been using a great free program called VirtualBox by Sun.

Notes on posting:
1. I can't get a new computer, graphics card, CPU or pricey stuff like that. I really don't want to spend anything at all.
2. I want to be able to play the game on 7.
3. Please stay to the question.

I ran into this exact problem last night at a lan party, except my game locked up at the "Loading" screen before the game starts, and I had to restart to close it. If anyone has a fix I would love to try it.

This problem happens every time you start the game. Anybody else played AOE II on 7?

This problem happens every time you start the game. Anybody else played AOE II on 7?

I've played it on my netbook running 7, but I figured the weird colors were because the resolution of the netbook isn't supported by the game. I just lived with it, although I rarely play games on my netbook anyways.

So, if more people with 7 are having issues with it, it may be a 7 problem.
Keep posting!

As I said, I tried all the compatibility combinations. Just a whim, but which of you guys ran AOE II on 7 x64?

Me. This works.

If that doesnt work,run the game and then alt-tab out,open the task manager and then kill explorer.exe and then alt-tab back into the game.

Now there's something new! I used to do that when I had a 500 MHz machine with 64 MB RAM. I'll try it.

Also, I will try a command-line option to modify the shortcut that will make AOE use system memory instead of graphics memory

Back
Top Bottom