32 Vista on a Core 2 Duo

gdewald1

Baseband Member
I just got a new computer with a Core 2 Duo, and found out that the Vista OS, that was installed on it, was the 32 bit version. I was wondering, how much does that affect my computer's speed, should I switch to the x64 version? Thanks.

If there was a thread like this, sorry, I couldn't find it in search...

I have the x64 version, you don't want it. Speeds are affected very little if at all. The problem is that the driver support is terrible. My sound card still doesn't work.

I'm running Vista 32bit on a Core 2 and have no problems. really the only thing that the 64 bit version would effect is the amount of RAM windows can see.

^^ don't forget the future..64-bit software, pfff, how long we been waiting for that. I have ultimate x64, if you already have an os I wouldn't recommend getting the 64bit. Be a waste of time and money unless you run 3 or 4 gigs of ram. I only have it because I got a free copy for beta testing....otherwise I wouldn't even own vista.

I use 32-bit vista and haven't had any compatibility issues. I've been hearing the "future of computing" routine about 64-bit for at least 2 years now and still there are continuous issues with compatibility and 64-bit operating systems. Unless you need a lot of ram (like 4GB or more) then it's worth it but otherwise 32-bit is just fine.

Just don't get 64 bit. There are next to no programs that use it. The only reason to get it would be for something like CAD. The average user will just go through hell with finding drivers and such for it.

Thanks,
I was getting a little worried, but now I'm not. So I guess I'll go with the 32, but I have 1 more question, what about XP? Is it the same with it's 64 version?

XP 64-bit is the same as 32-bit in terms of features. It's just XP Pro with 64-bit, and of course all the compatibility issues.

lol no kidding!? how long has it been since they released 64-bit OS's? I think that was a little before its time.

Back
Top Bottom