smtp server problem in Thunderbird 3

flynnboy

Beta member
Hi Guys

I have just bought a new computer running win 7. I have been trying to set up Thunberbird version3 and I am having real problems.

I have it receiving mails but I just cannot get it to send.:confused:

I 'know' I am using the correct server information but no matter how I configure the smtp server box it just will not send - just tells me it has failed to connect due to unknown error:rolleyes:

There are a couple of things different in TB from configuring OE. The smtp server box has an item at the very top labelled 'Description' - do I have to do something with this ?

Under 'Connection Security' do I click NONE - STARTTLS - or SSL/TLS

I have been told by my domain server provider that I should use secure authentication, and I am using the correct username and password.

There is really not an awful lot of ways you can go wrong with this - I am just mystified.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Which mail provider are you using? Each mail provider has their own POP3 settings that must be used to be able to send email correctly.

Which mail provider are you using? Each mail provider has their own POP3 settings that must be used to be able to send email correctly.

Yep I know Bahawolf. I have configured the correct POP3 settings and as I said I can 'receive' mails but it is my outgoing smtp server I am having problems with not my POP3

Thanks

Yep I know Bahawolf. I have configured the correct POP3 settings and as I said I can 'receive' mails but it is my outgoing smtp server I am having problems with not my POP3

Thanks

I did read it correctly. -- SMTP settings are different, per mail host. Each mail host can choose to use SSL, or choose a different port. For example, GMail uses..:

smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587
Port for SSL: 465

Yahoo uses..: smtp.mail.yahoo.com (port 25)
Use Authentication: No

---

The settings vary.

I did read it correctly. -- SMTP settings are different, per mail host. Each mail host can choose to use SSL, or choose a different port. For example, GMail uses..:

smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587
Port for SSL: 465

Yahoo uses..: smtp.mail.yahoo.com (port 25)
Use Authentication: No

---

The settings vary.

What I'm trying to get across is that I know I am using the correct settings because I have checked with my mail provider and they confirm my settings.

This is the problem.

FIXED !:rolleyes:

I had my mail provider confirm all of my smtp details as being correct - including my password. I was so puzzled by it - and by the way I've been at this since yesterday :eek: - I decided to logon to my domain control panel and take a look at the settings for myself. I decided to delete my password and re-type it (exactly the same as before) in a grasping at straws fashion and presto........ it worked:cool: :confused:

Some glitch. What a relief.

Back
Top Bottom