Is 512MB RAM enough for video chat?

thebigdintx

Daemon Poster
I was wondering if 512MB RAM should be enough to webcam using MSN Messenger 8? When I do an audio only chat, it is crystal clear, but when I add video chat into the mix, the audio becomes choppy.

thebigdintx said:
I was wondering if 512MB RAM should be enough to webcam using MSN Messenger 8? When I do an audio only chat, it is crystal clear, but when I add video chat into the mix, the audio becomes choppy.
Should be fine.. just check what you have runing besides msn. and check your internet connection

i have 512mb ram and its ok. msn just isnt that good for webcam convos... skype is ok. its not your spec that is causing the slowdown when on cam and mic... its probs your connection and/or the msn service being busy.

thanks...

what's the best way to test my connection to see if it is where it needs to be speed wise?

i did run a test using http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/ (if anyone has a better one to use to test it let me know cause i just found this testing site doing a search), and the results were listed as:
download speed: 1508 kbps (188.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
upload speed: 373 kbps (46.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Im guessing that isent too good, i have comcast and mine is

Download Speed: 24198 kbps (3024.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 351 kbps (43.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

i know that cable is supposed to be faster than dsl, so i guess that's why your numbers are so much higher on the download side of it.

are my speeds normal for dsl, and anyone else with dsl and similar speeds using video chat on msn messenger without any audio distortion?

The RAM is more than enough, I use my old laptop just for things like that, 600Mhz P3, 256MB RAM, and it does it nicely. Skype is better for that anyway, stick with it. Skype changes all it's settings around your internet speed, so try it out.

allenn812 said:
Im guessing that isent too good, i have comcast and mine is

Download Speed: 24198 kbps (3024.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 351 kbps (43.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Wow.

I only have 28.8k :D

Download Speed: 28kbps (2.78kb/s transfer rate)
Upload Speed: Not Available

:D

Back
Top Bottom