Your thoughts on Cash for Clunkers.

aPanzerIV

Daemon Poster
Well I was looking around youtube being bored, and I saw a Cash for clunkers video. It was a 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer(1,560 made) in immaculate shape. They drained the oil from its AMC 360, and did a burn out it until it died. Simply,the video made me cry.

What are your thoughts on the Cash For Clunkers?

Video:Cash for clunkers - YouTube

They destroy perfectly good vehicles, some rare ones at that. Too bad the owners of some of those cars didn't know.

The idea had two things. One, get people to buy new cars. Two, get the old ones off the road permanently. If you're one of the only people rolling in an older vehicle, you'll be more encouraged to get rid of it even without incentives.

It's stupid, there are a lot of good cars getting crushed that could be worth some money instead of going to the crusher.

There was plenty of clunker cars out there that didn't meet requirements too... While that was going on we looked up my brother's 1992 Ford Tempo. It said since it made 20MPG when it was brand new it doesn't meet requirements, even though the car made all kinds of weird noises, ate oil, and didn't even make 20MPG anymore yet plenty of perfectly good 2000+ year model cars got destroyed because they made less than 20MPG when they were new. Not that my brother would have been able to afford to buy a new car anyway even with the $5k off, but it's the idea. A lot of the flaw was in the name because most of the cars weren't "clunkers", but then the whole idea was stupid anyway.

The whole point of the program was to stimulate the economy and rid the roads from cars with bad fuel economy. No one's forcing you to participate.

If you don't want to see your favorite cars destroyed, why don't you buy them yourselves?

The automakers are doing fairly well now, even though the stock dropped quite a bit. Actually, GM stock dropped $6/share since I left 5 weeks ago... Ironic? Nope. haha

Personally it's a waste. Instead of killing the engine and crushing it, why not keeping all the parts, INCLUDING engines for parts instead? Or tear it apart for metal, but you don't need to blow the engine...waste of time, waste of a good car and...ahem...WASTE OF GAS?

Back
Top Bottom