wow........1 THz processors coming soon

pepzsoduh

In Runtime
(title courtesy of rubberchicken)

check these out
http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20...latchy/3268145

got this out of maximum pc: According to the team of MIT researchers, graphene technology coud pave the way to remarkably fast CPUs racing along at 500 to 1000 GHz! As farfetched as it sounds, the terahertz era may be closer than you think.
First identified in 2004, graphene is a form of pure carbon made up of a one atom thick sheet of carbon atoms. tests performed at the atomic level have shown graphene to be the strongest material ever discovered, but its graphenes electrical properties that hold the most promise. while today's silicon based processors battle with heat dissapation, electrons move around much more freely on graphene, and as a result of this reduced resistance, the substance generayes comparatively little heat.
but low temps are just the beginning ultrafast graphene transistors produce much cleaner electrical signals than silicon, making the material ideal for mobile gadgets, where the technology is most likely to show up first. just dont be suprised if one day soon you look back and snicker at how fast you thought that core i7 processor was.

more links
http://grapheneindustries.com/?What+is+graphene?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=munIqrfGMZg

I don't know.. I am trying to wrap my head around this two dimensional graphite thing.
I get the rub graphite on paper and it rubs off onto the paper. But technically doesn't that small layer of graphite still have height? I mean yes it might be .000000000000001mm but it's still height.. or is there a standard height it has to be, to be considered three dimensional.

Anything and everything in this universe is 3D. Bad choice of wording and perhaps a translation barrier - but he didn't actually say it was 2D, but that it had a 2D structure, and similarly with the 1D thing. So whilst the atoms and the links are themselves 3D, they only ever join with each other in a perfectly straight line or on a perfect plane. So while the material itself is 3D, its structural pattern is just in 1 or 2 dimensions (depending on what one we're talking about!)

I've heard of this before. It also WOWed (not World of WarCraft) me. There are tons of mind blowing things out there that we don't know about. One of the reasons I want to go to a big school is so I can participated in these revolutionizing researches.

I mean yes it might be .000000000000001mm but it's still height.. or is there a standard height it has to be, to be considered three dimensional.

Well then basically nothing is 2D.
When you draw something lead has height, so I figure there is a minimum.

My underclocked Q95 would pwn that THz. ;)

The big question is...at a THz, would be jump back to single cores?

At one atom thick I would think they would just stack a few hundred on top of each other... 256 core?
512?
giga-core?
tera-core?

Right, but wouldn't that recreate our heat issue? They are low resistance and low heat, but that don't make them produce zero heat.

I don't exactly see any point of having such a high frequency, except for the highest class servers. If that is the case, I don't think cooling will really be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom