Windows question

David Lindon

Golden Master
Does anyone know when you buy a pc from a manufacturer (dell for example) and they give you a 'restore' disc, do they purchase a copy of windows for each pc? If so why do they not give you the discs? Are they using the restore idea as a loophole so they don't have to buy a version for the pcs they build?

Well, I think that they buy a version for each comp, although the loophole would be a great buisness idea. They don't give out discs probably so that illegal copies can't be made easily, or at all.

I'd gues that companies like dell get the OEM version of windows. (because it's cheaper) and then they only give u the restore disk because u are not allowed to install an OEM copy to another computer. (even if the 1st computer is not being used, broken etc)

What happens is they have a Windows Corperate Edition Disk. And they use that to install on each computer. Windows Corperate can be used on as many computer as they want. And if something happens, they will send you the disk to your operating system. Say home. So your comptuer screws up, you call them, they send you the home disk. Unopened of course, because its the one that supposed to go to your computer, but they dont give it to you, because they know most people who get a dell are compete idiots.(i own a dell, i kno what im saying (lol)). But, after the warentee is up, they will just keep your disk, and give it to someoen else with a warenetee. Or make you buy it back.

*pants*

that was confusing to type...

they probally buy licenses for each computer and just have one version of Windows... so they are probally buying these licenses 100's of thousands at a time so it is alot cheaper

Well, Fujitsu gave me what seemed like a recovery disk...

It turned out to be a full, normal version of XP Home SP2, with none of the Fujitsu crap that came on the machine to begin with. The only difference was it never asked for my serial number, and it left a shortcut called "Recovery Info" on the desktop, which was filled with some irrelevant crap.

So it was basically a normal XP installer disk, but with a Fujitsu label on it.

They had M$ comstomize a version of xp just for thier machines. Recom16's right about the license. Dell and others have a contract with M$ with a bulk license.

Yeah, because they have some really stupid shit in it. Like Dell customer service, things, and little dell pop up screens in the lower right hand of the moniter. I took it all out, before i used my dell.

Back
Top Bottom