Why isn't my Xbox 360 Wireless network adapter working?

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
I have been following the instructions exactly, but when I reach the "basic network seetings" area the wireless mode option is greyed out, anyone know why this isn't working?

yes i think you gotta ring up and regsiter your mac address.

try googling xbox mac address connecting

something like that

im not saying its right its just that it sounds like it

I don't own a Mac though, I'm going to get it replaced tomorrow. Thanks for the help anyway though.

no but every console in the world has a Mac address assign to the console to register it with your provider, i can bet you its your mac, trust me man, ive been through this so many times years ago, i was like wtf it aint connecting, then i did some research and i found it was mty mac address.

A mac address is not a mac pc, the MAC address is a number used by network adapters to uniquely identify themselves

even if your on wireless you still have one, listen to me man, dont waste time going places, just trust me:

google.com:

If your XBox is connected directly to a Cable Modem or STB there is a need for the Cable Modem or STB to know the MAC address of the Xbox. The MAC address of a device is a 12 digit hexadecimal number that is unique to each ethernet device and NTL configure their cable modems and STBs to only connect to devices whose MAC addresses are known. With an Cable Modem there is a maximum number of two MAC addresses that the Modem can talk to, whereas with an STB the maximum number is five.

With an external Modem, all that is needed to connect an XBox to the modem is that the Modem and PC require switching off and the RJ45 cable removed from the PC and then connected to the XBox. Once done, switch on the Cable Modem and wait for it to synchronize with the Head-end. Finally, switch the XBox on and assuming that your XBox Live set-up is for DHCP, it will obtain an IP address from NTL.

For an STB, you need to configure the MAC address of the XBox via the 'start.ntl' URL, where the MAC can be registered as a device.

It is also possible to clone the MAC address of an exisiting cable connected device via the XBox Live set-up, which will allow use of the XBox without having to switch off modems or add MAC addresses to the STB.

Note: If your XBox resides on your LAN, behind a router or Gateway PC, then the MAC address issues discussed above are irrelevant

I suggest you find out your address and put it on your provider line.

i have never owned a xbox i would'nt know but your mac might be underneith the console or even in the system settings, once you found it i aint sure but i think you have to put it in when you connect, like i say, never ever owned a xbox i would'nt know but ive owned a few ps2's and had them online and for me to get them online sometimems i have to find the mac address and assign it on the cable/wireless what ever your internet is asdl have also one aswell.

listen to me man before you waste your time, ring your provider

Thanks, I'll have a look at this later. But what I mean't was it's not a problem of not being able to find my network, its that the xbox doesn't seem to realise that the adapter is even plugged in. I have been on the Microsoft website where it gives the detailed setup procedure, including photos of each step, it says that after I plug in the adapter, I should go to the system settings, select network settings, then basic, then once this far select "wireless network" - but unlike in the photo this option is greyed out. So I ran the troubleshooter and it told me that the wireless adapter is not plugged in, it said if it is really plugged in then I should disconnect, reconnect it, then restart my console and try again. I spent two hours plugging it in and out with no luck! But like I said, thanks for the help, I will try this tomorrow morning.

hate it when things like that happen man, i feel sorry for you, trying all them hours, well man, i had a problem with my laptop, i mean big big problem, i hit it, and it broke, i tryed starting it up but it just failed and failed, i was at work with no setup disk, so anyway, i made a digognoses test and it failed on the hdd so i was pissed of, anyway went to the shop bought a new hdd, and got home 4matted it, check this, it never worked, took me hours and hours, well, turns out i went into bios made a default and still tried but failed, went back to bios had a proper check, and it turns out my ASCPI or something was on, but i changed it back to ASP and then it worked.

i think its ASCPI/ASP , not to sure, sata is new to me lol, but if you really wannt know then its something to do with the ommunication between my hdd and the slot.

anyway back to your problem, yes phone up is your best bet, but to kinda think its strange but i did myself some research for you here's what i got of google, someone else wrote it on yahoo answers:

Turn on the Xbox console and navigate to the wireless settings screen. On the Xbox, the menu path is "Settings -> Network Settings -> Advanced -> Wireless -> Settings" On the Xbox 360, the menu path is "System -> Network Settings -> Edit Settings."

Set the SSID (network name) on the Xbox to match that of the wireless router. If your wireless router has enabled SSID broadcast, the SSID name should appear pre-selected on the Xbox display. Otherwise, select the "Specify Unlisted Network" option and enter the SSID there.

Specify "Infrastructure" as the Network Mode. Infrastructure is the mode used by wireless routers.

Set the Security Type to match that of the wireless router. If the wireless router uses WEP encryption, set up this option on the Xbox or Xbox 360. If the wireless router uses WPA encryption, set up this same option on the Xbox 360.using the same encryption key as on the routerBecause the Xbox does not support WPA encryption, it cannot connect to a wireless router with WPA enabled; you must disable WPA encryption on the router to use it with an Xbox.

Save your settings and verify the network is functional. On the Xbox, the Wireless Status screen will display whether a connection has successfully been made with the wireless router. The Connect Status screeen on Xbox will display whether a connection has successfully been made through the Internet to Xbox Live. On the Xbox 360, use the "Test Xbox Live Connection" option instead.

Tips:
Even when your wireless connection between the Xbox and the router is working perfectly, you may still experience difficulty connecting to Xbox Live. These issues can be caused by the quality of your Internet connection or the firewall and Network Address Translation (NAT) settings of your wireless router. Additional troubleshooting may be required in these areas to achieve reliable Xbox Live connections.

and well they must of changed things now in consoles as i don't see mac addres's being used as muh has this been taken over by something?

I'm sorry to hear about the bad luck you had with that laptop. Also thanks for your continued help but I have solved it now, I went back to PC World and got it replaced. The new one worked instantly!

well done mate.

goodluck on you gaming and be careful like me because when you go mad mad you brake things lol and we would'nt wanna see that guy again for replacing it would we ? cya man

Back
Top Bottom