What ever happend to real technical support?

IknowLITTLE

In Runtime
Justin: Thank you for contacting VIZIO Live Chat, the home of Entertainment Freedom for All. This is Justin in South Dakota. Have you ever contacted us before?

William : no

Justin: To better assist you, I would like to get you registered for technical support so I can log this case. Could I get your full address, serial number, date of purchase, purchase location, and price please?

William : is that all really necessary, im going to have to go look for all that and doubt ill be able to find it.

Justin: This is just to get you registered its not manditory it would just help

William : ok, well then id rather not register. so here i ask, why does the tv say "retrieving data" and then go straight to the blue "no signal" screen?

Justin: It seems like your not getting a signal from your cable/satellite box

William : its a computer, and im wondering why its recognizing it. i would say your correct if it hadnt given me the "retrieving data" screen. because thats the first time ive ever seen that screen.

Justin: How do you have it hooked up to the tv?

William : hdmi
William : their is a cord that changes the video cards mini hdmi to a larger one like a normal cable size, and its a brand new video card so its not the cable
William : you cant really help me with all of that, im just trying to figure out what the retrieving data screen means

Justin: That's coming from your device are tv doesn't say retrieving data it just would say no signal

William : thats a very good point. but the screen goes from "retrieving data" to the normal no signal screen
William : so what your saying is you looked it up and your tv will NEVER say "retrieving data"? because i dont mean to offend but the retrieving data goes around the same path as the no signal
William : you know how the no signal moves around the screen?
William : like jumps from place to place?

Justin: Yes

William : well the retrieving data word group goes around that same path, because when the screen switches to the black backrounded "retrieving data" screen and then switches to the blue "no signal" screen the word "no signal" is in the same place as the word "retrieving data" is on the path around the tv.
William : so theirs a continuous path around the tv the "no signal" goes around and the "retrieving data" word follows the same path.

Justin: Usually when you hook up a computer to a tv you would want it to be in the rgb spot and so your having a retrieving data and a no signal on the screen

William : sadly rgb is a little ancient and i dont have a cord lieing around or i would try.
William : is their anyway for you to find out what it means when the tv says "retrieving data" it would really help in me trouble shooting my problem. if not im done wasting our time.
William : oh and no. only one at a time
William : when i switch from hdmi inputs on the remote it goes retreiving data for about 5 seconds and then switches to the no signal screen

Justin: Ok well its hard to really determine that because you built the tv yourself.

William : when you say tv you mean computer? and i understand. but their has to be a way for you to find out whats going on with the tv when it says "retrieving data" obviously its trying to get data but why does it suddenly switch to the no signal screen

Justin: I dont know you can try to call in and talk to a technician

William : alright. well thanks for your time.
William : have a good one.

The guy had no idea that the tv could even say that and tried telling me i was wrong. im happy they have support for the normal hooking up satellites exc but that guy was honestly clueless. and didn't help me atall. he suggested that i call support. i might try, maybe they wont be clueless.

Heh I know. Even yahoo answers can provide better support than many human helpers.
I really hate it when I send emails and I receive a half-automated answer with no real relevance... Like that's gonna help something. I think they don't even read the emails, just post a readymade answer to save time.

Real support does still exist,

But to be honest, I don't really think that you helped yourself there.
you don't seem to have done a good job at describing your set-up, or the problem.

People can only work with the information that you give them,
You didn't give very much information, you were negative and condescending from the outset, you refused to do any tests that he suggested.

exactly what help were you expecting?

Even yahoo answers can provide better support than many human helpers.
good god, Yahoo answers IS human helpers, it's basically just some forum software, you ask a question and people answer it!

i can see what you mean, but me giving him all my info exc would have been pointless in my mind, because if you read i repeatedly asked him nicely to just tell me what the screen ment. witch he couldnt do. i will admit though that it was very hard to explain what i was seeing (my 15 year old brain couldn't handle it) lol. In conclusion i went their trying to figure out what the "retrieving data" screen meant and got nothing, i saw that as a little absurd, he had no idea what the retrieving data screen was and tried telling me it didnt exist.

they just read from a script, I have to phone HP support on a frequent basis and I get the same, People on the phone who are not technical :(

It's like this everywhere. People nowadays just don't want to work for a living. I see it all the time - people who just basically show up for the paycheck, but don't really do anything to earn it.

I just read the transcript IknowLITTLE and personally I thought you acted like a bit of a smartass. I agree with Root, you didn't really help yourself.

im not saying i was insanely in the right, i was in a pissy mood because of my build not working and he wasnt helping. the point is he couldnt have answered the question if i would have been as polite as possible.

im not saying i was insanely in the right, i was in a pissy mood because of my build not working and he wasnt helping. the point is he couldnt have answered the question if i would have been as polite as possible.

It shouldn't matter what mood you were in. A professional customer service rep expects their customers to be pissed off and irritated and are trained to handle even the most irate of customers. I worked telephone support as part of my job a few years ago and most of the customers I had to deal with were in foul moods because their equipment wasn't working. It is completely asinine to expect a customer to adjust their mood in order to get quality service. Customer service reps should be treating each customer well in order to retain customers. I guess that's what's wrong with the customer service at most companies. They just don't give a rat's ass about their customers.

Back
Top Bottom