use for an abandoned, fairly new computer

borat_sagdiyev

Golden Master
once again, it was garbage day on tuesday, and i was out biking with my friend monday night, and i found a PC in the garbage (again, lol).

Athlon xp 2400+ 2.0ghz
256mb ddr 2700
20gb hard drive
geforce fx5200

what can i do that useful with it? i mean, this is my 6th computer in my house (currently) and i've run out of ideas of what to with them. like im thinking to throw a bigger HD in and use it as a server?

I say take of your other slower pentium or athlon computers and give them to the friend, use the Sempron (that is the sever processor model right??) and use it as the sever, because its made for that.

Or wait, no sempron is the celeron equal, right?

Im so out of it, I need to re-learn...

Moral of the story, keep the better ones you have so you get the best speed when using the server.

well all the other ones are in use right now, and their not bad actually. sempron is celeron equivalent.

my pc is what is in the sig

moms laptop is sempron 2800, 512mb,

sisters computer is powermac g4 466mhz, 640mb

spare room computer is p4 2.66ghz, 512mb

and theres just another spare computer standing around, 800mhz p3, 256mb

and this one that i found on monday

so no clue what to do

I really like the idea of maybe adding something to the worst one, something like 256 more RAM (if it can handle it) and a better PSU and donating it to your dad's friend. Hell, you probably don't even have to add parts to it if you know he would enjoy having a computer that much. :)

hmm..I'd say build a fort out of em'.

nah, jk:p I think it'd be pretty cool if you could find one you don't use and give it to the less fortunate family you know. That'd probably make their day.

Well, tell me if you have any extra Harddrives lying around, 10GB or 20GB, cause I have a computer almost built for my friend, a kinda crappy one, it just needs a harddrive, everytime I try and boot it up it says bootmgr is missing, and idk if thats the HDD or what, but it says it.

Also, what is the point of a server for home use? Just curious.

@ superman,

probably the most practical use for a home server is for file storage. also, most games run better with even that small of a dedicated server, if you wouldn't mind the time and effort it takes to set that up. You might even have a website or forum that you want to have somewhat of a dedicated server for. Takes some workload off of your main PC.

Back
Top Bottom