Train travels at 356 mph

Brookfield

Golden Master
This morning a French modified TGF V150 train with larger wheels broke the World speed record, reaching a speed of 356 mph on a track between Paris & Strasbourg, two engines pulled three double-deck carriages.
This beats the previous 351 mph record of a Japanese Maglev train.

Brookfield said:
This morning a French modified TGF V150 train with larger wheels broke the World speed record, reaching a speed of 356 mph on a track between Paris & Strasbourg, two engines pulled three double-deck carriages.
This beats the previous 361 mph record of a Japanese Maglev train.
I don't get it you said 356 for the french train and 361 for the japanese.. why does it beat the japanease train?

is anyone else worried about the amount of trouble they have getting the trains to stay on the tracks at relatively low speeds? without trying to break world records!!

Steemax said:
I don't get it you said 356 for the french train and 361 for the japanese.. why does it beat the japanease train?
Oops! sorry, :eek: a typo, that should read 351 I'll edit my post.

the usually plod along at just under 200mph.
i love taking them, they are so smooth and when they run alongside an autoroute you really notice the speed as you zoom past crazy frenchmen driving at 90mph. It's now quicker to take the TGV from central Paris to the Med sea than it is to go through all the airport security/check-in/bus/taxi etc.

safety wise, if they hit anything it would be a disaster but i remember one came of the tracks about 8 years ago and just went straight along the gravel next the line. 1 elderly lady said on TV that she didn't realise there was anything wrong, that it was just 'rather sharp braking'.

parismouton said:
the usually plod along at just under 200mph.
i love taking them, they are so smooth and when they run alongside an autoroute you really notice the speed as you zoom past crazy frenchmen driving at 90mph. It's now quicker to take the TGV from central Paris to the Med sea than it is to go through all the airport security/check-in/bus/taxi etc.

safety wise, if they hit anything it would be a disaster but i remember one came of the tracks about 8 years ago and just went straight along the gravel next the line. 1 elderly lady said on TV that she didn't realise there was anything wrong, that it was just 'rather sharp braking'.
the larger wheels must help, plus the test run was on a dead straight length of track, as a kid, I've stood on the platform at Huntingdon station, awaiting the Mallard, which to this day still holds the world speed record for a steam locomotive, suddenly I would see a speck in the distance, growing until I could just make out the shape, as it grew closer it rocked from side to side with the speed, the rails thrumming until it rocketed through the station at close to 100 mph, pulling about a dozen carriages, the hairs are rising on the back of my neck as I type this, some 64 years later, then there was the Silver Link as the name suggests, silver from the locomotive through to the end carriage which had an observation lounge at the rear, woweee!

Allow me to correct. The French highspeed train had broken the world record for a train running on conventional rails. The record speed is 356MPH beating the previous record of 320MPH. The Japanese Maglev train that Maurice spoke of certainly has the world speed record of a train but it runs on a magnetic levitation rail. That record is 361MPH as you originally said, Maurice.

Here's a link to a news article about it if anyone wants to read up on it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6521295.stm

Lol, the Scottish news clearly stated it travelled over 500 MPH, but as I read other articles, they clearly meant KPH!

Back
Top Bottom