Too many folders?

cavemangrinder

Fully Optimized
Does having lots and lots of folders under 1 directory folder make things sluggish? I have hundreds of sub-folders under my main "Music" directory on my external drive. Is there any limit as to how many folders/sub-folders can be under 1 directory?

i dont think there is i have 241 folders in my music and its not slggish at all

No, I don't think so, I have 350 some folders in my music folder and it isn't sluggish.

What if you have say 1,000 folders. Would (you) have them all in 1 directory or spread them into 2 main folders? I'm gonna buy a bigger hdd next week because my music is already facilitating the entire space of my current drive and I was wondering what would be best.

Depends on what type of drive and the connection it uses. A firewire external drive would be faster then its USB counterpart.

Yeah, my drive is external, used primarily for my music. But anyway, I am gonna buy a bigger drive to replace the one I have now. I was just wondering if spreading the sub-folders out into a few directories OR having all of the folders under 1 directory, made any difference in performance or access time etc...

Back
Top Bottom