Thread for Quiz Questions / Riddles

Luke_Uk_Baggy

In Runtime
Hey All, just wanted to throw a thread out there that people could put some riddles on, to help kill boredom!

Any sort of mini quizes or questions to tax the brain / break down processes (Not necessarily IT Related)

NOTE: Try working out the answer away from the forums - so that other people who read the thread will have a chance to attempt it, and not just scroll down and read the answer

Ill start the ball rolling:

Q: I have 9 Snooker balls. They are all the same colour / shape / size, except for one of the 9 balls, is slightly heavier than the rest (not recognisable by holding it in your hand)

You have a set of pretty accurate 'Equal Arm' balancing scales (these sort of things: http://physics.kenyon.edu/EarlyApparatus/Mechanics/Balance/Wittenberg20a.JPG) that you can use TWICE only (i.e putting a weight on each side and seeing the result is one use)

Can you think of a way, using the scales only twice, of always being able to find the heavier ball?

Add yours!

took me a while to figure this one out actually...
I was sure that you'd have to use the balance at least three times, using it only twice made it a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom