To those with Vista

Tommy Boy

Golden Master
Who here uses the Vista sidebar? I know it uses a lot of system resources, but I think it's rather handy. I like having a battery monitor there for my laptop, also I have the clock, calendar and the weather from Accuweather.

I use it, but it takes so damn long to start up when I boot my computer up... I have email log in and a bunch of little system tools.

I don't use it. It eats up too much of my RAM.

Occasionally, when I am bored, I'll pop it open and use a CPU meter for dual core CPU, a RAM usage monitor, a local weather app. I forget what else.

It's sad. I have 2 gigs of RAM, and idle my machine uses 25% of it, usually 30 to 35% with Firefox, and maybe only 90% with even the most intensive games, yet I feel like I never have enough.

I never use it because I don't have a need for any of the applications it offers. The only one I would use would be the weather, but I get that from Accuweather in my Firefox browser!

I decided to "try" Vista for a short while since I will never be able to afford it (if you know what I mean), and I disabled the sidebar just about right away. I had no use for it. There's a clock down on the taskbar, I rarely look at the weather, and nothing else I found was very useful to keep it open. Plus the sidebar just looked stupid to me really. I found out Vista doesn't even work correctly with a lot of the stuff I use (UltraMon for one). One year and the latest software still isn't compatible with it...

I used to use it when I first got vista but the novelty wore off. It's a bit of a RAM hog too and slows down the start up time.

It's on my second monitor, I have a Disk-usage monitor, CPU and standard weather.

Back
Top Bottom