Surround techniques

Kage

Golden Master
Has anyone ever heard of or used Dolby Headphone technology? Its amazing :eek:

I have it on PowerDVD 6, and I have to say, it blows me away.

Plus, it includes a decoder for Dolby Pro Logic 2 for use in surround systems for music, which also sounds amazing.

If you haven't tried it, do so. Theres a 30 day trial on PowerDVD's website.

Has anyone also ever heard of Dummy Head recordings? They work in the same way.

Hmm, I've always wondered how those 5.1 headphones worked. do they have seperate speakers within the casing?

Nope. Its on standard headphones.

It works by phasing sound in a way that the brain thinks its coming from all directions. Its really kewl.

The same with the other technologies too.

DUMMY HEAD RECORDING:

True dummy head doesn't use phasing, etc though. Even standard MP3's on any player can play these files, on standard headphones.

For instance, I have a sound of a helicopter, and playing it back, it goes all around my head.

It works by recording using a head shaped object, with 2 ears or microphones inside its head in the way ours is water filled in its head to repoduce the blocking). Playing it back, its in 3D, simply because of the way our brains percieve it with echos produced exactly the same way.

it only works on headphones through this technology. It'd work great for MP3 players.

Heres an example of Doly Headphone Technolgy:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/headphone.html

Click on Experience it on the right. This works the same way as Dummy Head I believe. You'll need headphones for it.

There is an example of 3D surroudn with only 2 speakers, but that doesn't work as well.

Enjoy :)

You can definitely hear the "spatial" difference. It acutally sounds better on my regular speakers than on the headphones, lol.

Weird. There is a dolby speaker test as well that does the same thing.

Its supposed to only sound good on headphones :p But I can hear it behind me, etc. It comes with Power DVD 6 if your interested, which the trial will work with for 30 days.

Dolby Pro Logic 2 is the best one it comes with, allowing full surround on music using any amounts of speakers. That just sounds amazing.

I've got my speaker settings to Dolby Pro Logic II: Movie, when I was listening to the sound effects. Probably why it sounds good on the speaker side.

I use the Altec Lansing headphones and it does sound better than conventional stereo sound. I know the X-Fi chipset is suppose to enhance the headphone experience as well.

Back
Top Bottom