Sound proof

IAntDemo

xxcobraxx
use deadening foam,

or carpet the walls.

foam is more effective. but will cost more and take up more space.
use polystyrene tiles on the roof as well.

bascially any quite soft material will absorb and deaden the sound.

thanks alot root.

I have an idea, get carpet over the walls and then put some foam around, i'm sure I can nick some from my area, theirs plenty of things such as carpet shops and go round the back and see what I can find.

Ill take a pic of my empty bedroom and show you how I've done it.

should be a good few weeks of a project :)

when I get home Ill quickly upload what state its in now which is preety much empty lol and then the after state when its all done

You have to be selective about what material you use. Some materials like carpet only absorb the low end while styrofoam absorbs the high end. Either can make your music sound flat. There are some materials that do a decent job of sound proofing but cost out the arse.
What's transmitting the sound is the sheetrock nailed to the studs. If you can make the wallboard float over the studs secured with some thing like silicone glue, it lets the wallboard resonate but doesn't pass it on to the studs. Fill the void in the wall with thin styrofoam panels to the inside and thick fiberglass to the outside.

when I get home Ill quickly upload what state its in now which is preety much empty lol and then the after state when its all done

sounds good Mate :)...also, how about some picks while you're working on the room too :)...show us a step by step...and if its not to hard...who knows...i might just give it ago as well :)

I'm no expert but I'd venture to guess that dynamat directly on top of the sheetrock, covered by flat foam on the outside layer, would be good at cutting down escaped sounds.

You'll want to be careful though because if you get the foam set up for studios (usually is shaped like a series of wedges), it's designed to keep sound from being reflected. What this will do is make for a very weird listening environment. It will probably make your music sound dull and thin, and it will be difficult to have hearing depth perception. It's an odd experience first time you go into a room like that. It's very difficult to place objects based on the direction of the sound you are hearing.

D-Lew, excellent feedback, I need to go out and get some info on each product.

The only reason I'm doing it is because I like Loud music and my relatives would'nt like me playing my music loud, all tho its my new hobbie it kinda gets to you when others are pissed of with you. But thats the whole point of this sound proof

Back
Top Bottom