Real cost of printing

fredstek

Baseband Member
This is something i must do for tafe and seriously i cant find the right website or any where to get infomation as detailed as it ses can some one please read it and posible help me out in an way

Use the Internet and do a search for prices for printers and their printing cartridges. You can find many cheap printers - but that is not the whole story. Have a look at the price of replacement printer cartridges for this printer and the number of pages it will print. Always make sure that you know how much replacement cartridges will cost for a printer - if they are very expensive, maybe that cheap printer is not such a good deal.

Assume you will be printing 5,000 black & white pages of text per month. Compare the purchase and running cost of an ink jet printer and a laser printer over two years. That is 120,000 pages of black & white text over two years.

1. Purchase price of the printer = $A

2. Price of printer cartridge X 120000/ no pages per cartridge = $B

Total cost = $A + $B

My Brother MFC-8300 that I found in the garbage (All-In-One Laser printer, such as fax, print, scan and photocopy) has a toner price of 57 bucks and it is powder, so I don't have to worry about dryings.

Another one, an HP PSC-1210 has an ink carttrige of 15 bucks.
I don't print much, so that won't be a hassle for me.

Laser printers are cheaper in terms of long term use. The toner costs more than cartridges but also last a lot longer. My HP laserjet 1020 still has the original toner cartridge that came with the printer, and I print a lot of stuff out. I think the cost is around 3 or 4 cents a page average for laser printers although I could be a bit off. I know it's really low, ink jets have a higher cost per page because the ink cartridges don't last as long and also most ink jet printers don't have as high of a duty cycle.

EDIT:
Here are some links for you I've found, hopefully they help a little bit:
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;178247912
http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/testdrive/article.php/3521141
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_printer

good info but doesent really help me answer the questions it arsks me i just cant find a freaking site that tells me those sorts of things

What I would do is go to HP.com and choose an inkjet printer, and a laserjet printer. Then plug the numbers in. They have the prices and estimates of their cartridges on their site, at least they did last time I checked. That should work if you plug it in to the formula you provided earlier.

yeah this site seems ok its the first to tell me how many pages it can print per month but cant seem to find info on there cartridges

oh fudge cant seem to get the last bit which is how many pages per cartridge where the hell am i gona find that

Err, well...it depends. The ammount of page prints may vary, because for first, one may have more juice than the other, and it depends on what you print. If you print a gazillion of pages with an "a" on it, it will last much longer than a giantific banner that takes a sh!t load of ink.

BTW, you print lots and lots of "a" pages and I call you a tree murderer. Think green.

Back
Top Bottom