RAM With Heatspreaders

ssc456

Fully Optimized
ok a while ago i did a new build for my friend thing it was some cheap C2D like an e4400 with 2Gb RAM and a pretty cheap Asus motherboard

now this was the RAM i bought
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/116755

the thing is when i put it in the motherboard the heaspreaderes were right up against each other there was no airflor at all between them

i though it may be ok as it would just be a larger area for the 2 RAM sticks to spread heat............ it wasnt after a few hours the RAM fried.

my worry is that this has put me off RAM with heatspreaders now im always scared there gonna be too close together and generate too much heat :(

how will you know before ordering a motherboard if it will comfortably take RAM with heatspreaders with enought space between ?

you dont have to worry, every motherboard will accept ram with heatspreaders. the sinks themselves usually dont add too much width to the overall ram.

the closest they can get the ram DIMMs isnt close enough to make heatspreaders touch

Instead of putting them right next to each other, put them in opposite slots, unless your using four dimms or your motherboards dual channel slots or next to each other.

ok bullzi you say every mothervboard will except ram with heatspreaders. yes they will but will they leave enough space for them to cool.

and hascet on this particular board there was only 2 slots

i have the same OCZ's but 4 gigs, and they are pretty close together...but i don't have any problem with them, computer is running smooth...and ram is running with no problems.

Do you think it could have been faulty equipment?

i have the same OCZ's but 4 gigs, and they are pretty close together...but i don't have any problem with them, computer is running smooth...and ram is running with no problems.

Do you think it could have been faulty equipment?
I too have OCZ memory with the same heatspreader style. They are not too close together. I think lukaszr may be onto something. I also think you may have some faulty hardware, rather it was the RAM or your mobo I don't know, but I would recommend testing your motherboard to make sure it is all happy. I assume you are going to RMA your RAM that was fried?

oh yeah this happened a while ago. like 3 months back, but my mate is doind a new build and im cautious about buying RAM with heatspreaders.

it could have been fault RAM but i can honestly say the 2 heatspreaders were actually touching each other.

it porbably didnt help that it was a mATX board and the new build is going to b ATX which should help.

yh i sent them back and got some kingston without heat spreaders.

it is possible they were faulty i guess.

memory.jpg

there were pretty much the same as them, they do seem awfully close together with no air flow ??

oh yeah this happened a while ago. like 3 months back, but my mate is doind a new build and im cautious about buying RAM with heatspreaders.

it could have been fault RAM but i can honestly say the 2 heatspreaders were actually touching each other.

it porbably didnt help that it was a mATX board and the new build is going to b ATX which should help.

yh i sent them back and got some kingston without heat spreaders.

it is possible they were faulty i guess.

*removed picture for quote purposes*

there were pretty much the same as them, they do seem awfully close together with no air flow ??
Well if they are actually touching each other that does sound bad, but if they are very close, then that should be fine. If they are touching each other I could foresee issues, but otherwise i really doubt the heat would kill em, as long as there is good airflow in the case.

Either way, I don't think you should be discouraged from heatspreaders. You could probably just eye the distance between the DIMM slots on the mobo to figure how it would do. Most mobos have two sets, which are slightly seperated from eachother, while the DIMM slots in each set are against each other. When i get home, I can post a picture of how mine look if that helps :)

dude, you should have put them in properly for dual channel- one in blue and one in orange. each one of those is almost always a seperate channel.

Back
Top Bottom