Please help (connecting router)

mike7111

Solid State Member
My buddy bought a router from some guy last month. he wants to use it to run his laptop wireless. he has DSL on his main computer and asked for my help. i did everything the set-up said, and i could NOT get a connection in IE or firefox!

Sure, the connection thingy in control panel said I had a connection, but every time I opened Firefox/ie, server not found. I hit the reset button on the router numerous times, and when you open the browser after that, it goes to the Netgear page configuring the connection. But when i clicked "next" , Page cannot be displayed! Yes...my buddy had the cd for it, and I followed the instructions 10 times! I said fuck it and put that main computer back to the DSL like it was and came home.

Last night I tried it again (fresh mind) thinking I missed something. Nothing again. So i asked to bring the router home with me to mess with it on my computer. I have Comcast internet. I hooked it all up and it WORKS! I dont know why it wont work on his comp, everything is plugged in/set up exactly the same way. Any thoughts?

NOTE: (Probably not important) He mentioned that the guy he bought it from said there was a BLUE ethernet cord that came with it, not a standard yellow one. The guy lost it though. Would me trying to use a normal yellow cord be the problem on his computer? I mean yea...I tried a standard ethernet with it on my computer and it worked? Is that just luck, or should he try another type of cable cord for his?

Sorry this is so long, but im pulling my hair out, and I hope some people here can give me some insight.

Thanks guys...

Also for dsl you need a username and password to log on, did you put those in correctly?

Also for dsl you need a username and password to log on, did you put those in correctly?

um...I have DSL and I don't have to put in a username or password... Just thought I'd point that out. Some ISPs don't require a username and password.

For me, I just plugged in my modem to the phone line, plugged in the router into that, and then I could get the wireless signal for my internet connection. If that's what you are doing ad it's not working, maybe your friend has a bad cable? Also make sure the internet connection is plugged into the WAN port of the router.

The color of the cable doesn't matter, they are sometimes just made different colors to blend in with surroundings I guess if you were to run it along the walls or edge of carpet.

Do you mean for the main computer or for the laptop? I didnt do anything with the laptop yet. Right now im trying to get the main computer connected period. There is no thing to log on? I open IE and the routers page pops up, I click "next" then page cant be displayed

Back
Top Bottom