Play my game

D-Lew

Fully Optimized
Well it's not much of a game now, but I've gotten to the gritty part and I need to know whether or not I should continue it. I'm pretty good at graphic design and I have worked out the way I want it to look except for the status bar, but the game has a nice retro feel with modern particle effects and such.

But now I'm to the point where I have to figure out how to fix certain bugs in the enemies, and then figure out how to make scripted enemy patterns into long lasting levels. Basically the coding part. I want to make sure you guys think it has some potential first, so I'm releasing the executable that is basically a primitive debug mode.

Here's the link, file was AVG scanned prior to upload:
http://www.mediafire.com/?0vmwnaa90wt

My instructions? Play around with the controls a bit and see if you can figure them out. Right now I have it set for arrow keys to control movement and space for fire. To spawn enemies it's any key from F8-F12 and that's all I've got right now. For the main enemy press F12 and for something nice press F9, the first "boss" is F10. Try it out if you like and let me know what you think about it or if you spot any bugs that might not be so obvious, besides the double-enemy, that still needs work. I know this was a super long winded post but thanks for helping.

I made it with a program called Game Maker, it's an interface that uses GML (Game Maker Language) but does not require actual code because it is graphic based. It still requires knowledge of basic programming though, like variables and triggers and such.

The music is from Kirby 64, I just ran across it and it seemed fitting, so I threw it in there temporarily for the time being. Eventually I will get something that isn't copyright or anything.

Before I got my nice keyboard I had issues pressing down, left, and space at the same time. It would not fire. I may need to change directional movement to WSAD so let me know if anyone runs into this problem.

Updated again. In addition to several minor bug fixes, F8 is now a nifty little script for a slew of enemies. Eventually I want to automate it in the game somehow.

Any chance you could make it open-source? I've used Game Maker a little in the past, would be interesting to see....

Edit:
Reminds me of warblade!

Edit 2:
I got this error message, i think it was when i pressed F11.....

for object enemy2_1:

Error in expression:enemy2_2.x
position 10: Unknown variable x

Any chance you could make it open-source? I've used Game Maker a little in the past, would be interesting to see....

Edit:
Reminds me of warblade!

Edit 2:
I got this error message, i think it was when i pressed F11.....

You have to have the Pro version of 7, ie the one that you pay for, because it uses the particle system. If you have it I would be happy to send it to you.

You have to have the Pro version of 7, ie the one that you pay for, because it uses the particle system. If you have it I would be happy to send it to you.

I used to have it - But not any more. It would be nice if you could send. Thanks man :)

Back
Top Bottom