PCs AND EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES

remoat

Beta member
i am using a pc with windows xp.. i have attached an external hard drive for backing up a music library.. i now wish to separate the hard drive from the pc for playing the music, and use a separate audio system, such as a "boom box" or shelf stereo system.. as some of you may have guessed, i have not been able to make this happen.. i have purchased boom boxes and sophisticated stereo systems that will not [or cannot] draw the audio tracks from the hard drive.. i purchased what i believed was an upgraded portable hard drive from seagate tech.. when the instructions said the drive used its own software that resided on the pc hard drive to operate the external drive, i became suspicious; if the seagate drive had its own software, how would i separate the drive from the pc and use it as a stand-alone component? seagate tech support confirmed this issue, and they accepted my request to return the hard drive..

so, the ?? remains: is there a way to separate my external hard drive from the pc and play those audio tracks thru a separate player? is there a more capable external hard drive that would do this in place of my current configuration? thanks.

Only way I figure is to use a small computer to be the media center. You can get some tiny computers from VIA for exsample, that are all on one board. They don't have a lot of bells and whistles like lap and full sized desk systems do but they do what they do rather well.
You could come off the line out or if it has it, an optical interface to a sound device like a boom box.
But as for just plugging the drive in to an amp, I haven't seen one that would do that.

thank you for your insight; it's something i haven't heard from salesmen.. wouldn't it be nice, though, if a portable hard drive could be taken, along with an a/c adapter and a boom box, or whatever player, and listen to a complete library of one's music anywhere there is an electrical socket? if it hasn't been developed by now, i guess it never will, but it is something i sure wish was available..

Back
Top Bottom