Which passwording method is more secure?

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
Is it more secure to have the same password for all sites that isn't written down or a different password for all sites that is written on my computer?

lol....well technically both are no no's according to security Guru's. I would say that if you have a strong password your better off having all places using the same password, because if you have your passwords written on your computer then whoever gets ahold of it will know all your accounts. With using one password, if someone gets your password for say CF, that doesn't let them know what other places you have accounts with and stuff.

Sounds like what you need is a password manager - it's the secure equivalent of using different passwords for everything and writing them all down somewhere :)

For example: http://keepass.info/

I use one medium password for anything that ins't critical; I use it for facebook, WarCraft3 accounts, orkut, CF, etc. Then I have an extremely strong password that I use for my college applications, standardized tests, etc.

I use one medium password for anything that ins't critical; I use it for facebook, WarCraft3 accounts, orkut, CF, etc. Then I have an extremely strong password that I use for my college applications, standardized tests, etc.
One password for everything that isn't critical is fine, but I wouldn't personally advise using one password for critical stuff however strong it is (and if you do, at least not advertising it!) If someone somehow managed to get hold of this password then they'd have access to everything important!

One password for everything that isn't critical is fine, but I wouldn't personally advise using one password for critical stuff however strong it is (and if you do, at least not advertising it!) If someone somehow managed to get hold of this password then they'd have access to everything important!

Your logic is very understandable, but I find a major flaw in it:
I don't think anyone can associate JogaBonito1502 with my other accounts.

I don't think anyone can associate JogaBonito1502 with my other accounts.
That helps on the "advertising" side admittedly, as long as you're sure of this! I still wouldn't use one password for everything important though... Yes I reckon you'd be very unlucky if anything did happen since you seem like the kind of guy that's conscientious about this sort of thing anyway (and I know a LOT more people that just use one, simple password for everything which is rather more worrying.) Looking at it with my security hat on though, I just wouldn't advise it as the best practice to use, that's all.

^

More and more, I keep having to change my passwords though. A lot of the important places I have passwords for require me to change it every 90 days or so...

gu568*7389&%@:l-+!!£

Thats a random example of my passwords, and how random they actually are. I'd never remember that, so have to have them down somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom