Origin of names; U.S. States & Canadian Provinces

Brookfield

Golden Master
As a Brit, I've always been fascinated with the names of U.S. States & Canadian Provinces, I think I'm correct in thinking that a good few of the names came from two main sources; France & England, followed by naturalised Americans, [apologies if I've got that term wrong] Inuits, then Spain, Holland etc., this initial post is to get the feel of opinions, & the knowledge of the the people who live there, and for members to pull me up on my mistakes, give me a chance guys, be gentle with me!
I think I know quite a few origins; Alberta, Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, etc.
This thread could be very interesting, perhaps members testing each other, [& me] as to origins, just a word though, there's no reason why it shouldn't be fun, pleasant, & mildly educational, lets keep it light, no heavy arguments, yeah?

Maurice.

every country has a town called newcastle but N.Ireland had it first in the county of down
Ny- York in England

cos of the potato famine in 1830 alot of u amercians are decindents of us irish .. hmm are we related?
jw, am i the only isirsh person here?

Washington- George washington. I know alot of people who still think new york is the capital!

New Hampshire and Massachusetts originated from England or somewhere. We still consider the east coat, the New England territories sometime. At least, I've heard it being used.

neochivers said:
Every country has a town called newcastle but N.Ireland had it first in the county of Down
Ny- York in England

cos of the potato famine in 1830 alot of u amercians are decindents of us irish .. hmm are we related?
jw, am i the only isirsh person here?
Not contradicting you, you are correct, New York is named after York in England, before that, the Dutch named it "New Amsterdam", perhaps the British threw them out, we were "good" at that, sidetracking a bit, if it's any consolation, it's my opinion that we brought the Irish troubles over the years on ourselves, we should NEVER have "invaded" all those years ago, occupied the north of your lovely country, but don't let's cloud the purpose of this forum, guys!!! If you like, neo, PM me with your views on what I've just said, I feel very strongly about it, always have. we were idiots., who said we still are???, goldarn it.

Maurice

hey im a prod thanks to u invadin i live here but i love it here .. hey its the amercians fault, about a year b4 i was born, cliton came up with the good friday argement and fecked it again. lol you shoulda known i was a prod i support NI

Virginia from Queen Elizabeth the 1st, the "virgin" Queen, huh, some virgin, perhaps her black teeth put the guys off, yuck!

Back
Top Bottom