Old Desktop Tower Ideas?

BamaFan29891

In Runtime
i am thinking about taking my very old desktop tower, installing puppy linux on it and just using it with my lcd tv. that way i can have an external hdd, watch videos/movies, listen to music, surf the web, and download.

what are some other good tips for old desktop towers?

Home server with a new larger hard drive. I run a P4 server with XP Pro. Not anything special, and gets the job done I want it to. It can be done with an older system as well. I wanted to do Linux as the OS for my server, but I couldn't get it to simply share a full drive and printer b/c I dunno a ton about Linux.

I would also suggest server. That's what my current old desktop is being used for. I use it to practice running and maintaining a secure server. Your TV idea is good too, especially if you want to sit on the couch and watch YouTube or something. Also, maybe a torrent download server if you don't want to leave your main computer or laptop running 24/7 to download huge torrents.

I built my server... but I use it for Active Directory, Apache (Web Hosting), NAS and the like.

I actually built my server, but it was with older parts I had because I didn't need new for file and printer sharing. I used to use the server for torrents at home when I needed to b/c it's on 24/7. At school they block torrent ports... Can't even d/l a legal copy of an OS disc like I usually do...

I run my old desktop in the garage. I access it via wireless Remote Desktop so I can use 'it's' desktop from my main computer and use it pretty much for DL/UL and streaming.

I turned an old desktop into a fileserver and I access it with VNC. Works really well for me.

Before I moved out for college, I turned my old desktop into a windows home server so it could backup my parents computers and I could access the files through the internet. If you don't mind dropping $100 on an operating system it's well worth it (I just built one for myself actually).

Back
Top Bottom