New compressed air fueled cars

Ð88

Fully Optimized
This is actually kinda cool. A compressed air fueled car that costs less than $3 USD to fill and can drive for 200-300km (or 10Hrs) and can reach a maximum speed of 68MPH. You only have to change the oil once every 50000km (31000 miles) and it uses 1L of vegetable oil. The air expended by the engine can be used for air conditioning in the car and the car is also equipped with an air compressor that will refill it's tank in 3-4hrs for emergencies. And oh yeah, the cost for a new one of these is only $7500USD.
Aside from it looking like a smart car (which I dont personally like but the different versions of it is a little more interesting) I would like to know what the catch is in all of this.

http://gizmag.com/go/7000/

pics...
http://gizmag.com/go/7000/picture/32538/

An English company manufacture them; www.EVUK.co.uk 120 miles per charge, 68 max mph, about £1800, I updated this price, the site I linked to was dated 2002, where it was £6750 + tax, about £1200.

Brookfield said:
An English company manufacture them; www.EVUK.co.uk 120 miles per charge, 68 max mph, about £1800, I updated this price, the site I linked to was dated 2002, where it was £6750 + tax, about £1200.

it says the company was founded in Luxembourg and has offices in France and Barcelon, Spain. The factory is located in India I think i read.

Also, i don't know what happened to the picture so i guess i will remove it. You will have to click the link for pics.

It's a good idea....but I doubt it will ever take off. Basically the same technology as steam power, you can operate a steam engine on compressed air.

wow that thing is really cool

doesnt look like a smart car. it looks like a fiat seicento (sp?)

fiat-seicento.jpg

these are most likely zero tax cars, (as in you don't have to pay any road tax (UK) cause they are so 'green'.

they look f'in ugly, but at as cheaper price as that, and that added savings of no road tax, - which will likely be increased again as of the next budget...

it's looking like a mighty fine option for a road user isn't it?

edit - actually at only five and a half grand, that does look like an awesome option really!!!

I spend more than that in a year on petrol i think!

and they definitly are but ugly... the yellow one in the pictures page reminds my of a fiat punto that's had a bad accident!

I quite like the look of the pickup truck one though...

I wonder what sort of air preassure they actually run on? and if it's possible to fit bigger or extra tanks, sadly only ten hours driving could see me getting stuck somewhere someday!
like if the traffic was really bad due to accident,. or if you were going on holiday.

edit again - there is only one thing that annoys me about this car, the phrase zero pollution. I know full well that in order to charge this car I'd be using electricity obtained from a coal burning power station.

so until the powersations all go sloar/wind/tidal etc, there just isn't going to be a truely zero polution vehicle.

root said:
these are most likely zero tax cars, (as in you don't have to pay any road tax (UK) cause they are so 'green', they look f'in ugly, but at as cheaper price as that, and that added savings of no road tax, - which will likely be increased again as of the next budget, it's looking like a mighty fine option for a road user isn't it?, actually at only five and a half grand, that does look like an awesome option really!!!, I spend more than that in a year on petrol i think!, and they definitly are butt ugly... the yellow one in the pictures page reminds my of a fiat punto that's had a bad accident!, I wonder what sort of air pressure they actually run on? and if it's possible to fit bigger or extra tanks, sadly only ten hours driving could see me getting stuck somewhere someday!, like if the traffic was really bad due to accident,. or if you were going on holiday.
There is an option, the makers say that the time to pressurise can be reduced by using an industrial pressurising facility if there's one nearby, in the early stages of development, they did think of adding extra tanks, but they are so heavy as the the walls are 20mm thick.

Back
Top Bottom