My Thoughts on Vista

~NeonFire372~

Golden Master
What's with all the people and all the websites that tell you not to get Windows Vista because it has so many bugs and everything. [I admit, I said I wasn't going to get it yet because of bugs and stuff].

It's not all that bad. I haven't noticed any significant problems in the way it functions. I turn it on, when Windows is loading up, all I see is a little progress bar and (C) Microsoft Corporation on the bottom (is this normal?), no Vista logo, but then it asks me to type in my password...obviously. Looks very nice while doing it, and loads up very quickly actually for a "bloated OS" when I only have a gigabyte of RAM and a 1.6GHz dual-core processor. [The toshiba junk that loads up slows it down a bit, this is a new laptop]. Back to vista...

The interface is very pleasing. Aero seems to work properly, flip 3D is nice (Windows Key + Tab) and so is the original ALT-TAB. There are a lot of different changes from XP though. When you right-click on your desktop now, it says Personalize and that leads you to a window where you click various links to change desktop wallpaper, screensavers, resolution, etc. I prefer the tabbed interface of XP and before in that.

The Control Panel just got confusing-er. Thankfully, you can still use classic view for that too. The Start Menu is excellent. With fast, almost immediate searching in the menu itself (without opening other windows) and all programs opening within the compact menu, it brings many improvements over Windows XP. There are tons of new programs (I'm running Home Premium, so it could be different for other versions) like a DVD making program, plus movie maker from XP, the Windows Photo Gallery and Calendar which I haven't tried out yet and many more. A lot to explain, and I just got the laptop yesterday so I can't really explain much. The new "Games Explorer" thing from the start menu (or just Games) doesn't really catch my eye too well. It's alright, I suppose, but the whole Windows performance score thing (1-5) is a little annoying. I don't see pinball in the games anymore, instead a childish "Purble Place" (don't even ask).

I was thinking about reformatting and revrerting back to Windows XP when getting this laptop before it came, but after using Windows Vista I would never go back. The simplicity, speed isn't too bad, etc.

The thing that kills me is that I'm stuck using Windows Firewall (IF ANYONE KNOWS ANY OTHER FREE ONES COMPATIBLE WITH VISTA, PLEASE TELL ME) because Zone Alarm is not yet compatible with Vista. AVG AntiVirus Free Edition works fine, though.

try sygate personal firewall for the firewall ,i havent checked vista compatability yetbut it may be .
and if i had a vista capable computer then i would make the change just to see what it is like although i wouldnt make the change on my main desktop cos there isnt 100% hardware compatability yet

Yeah I really like the areo effects but I think I'll wait untill theres more support to make the switch. My one dislike is the scroll bar within the start menu, looks a bit odd to me.

muz379 said:
try sygate personal firewall for the firewall ,i havent checked vista compatability yetbut it may be .
and if i had a vista capable computer then i would make the change just to see what it is like although i wouldnt make the change on my main desktop cos there isnt 100% hardware compatability yet
I don't really like Sygate.

David Lindon said:
Yeah I really like the areo effects but I think I'll wait untill theres more support to make the switch. My one dislike is the scroll bar within the start menu, looks a bit odd to me.
Yeah. I probably wouldn't of upgraded if I had to buy Vista...but it came with my laptop and its pretty good,.

I'm not terribly fond of the scroll bar in the start menu either, but I like the new compact-ness of it so it evens out.

I'm not going to upgrade any time soon... but it is really nice.
From what I can gather Matlab doesn't work properly on there, and I need that considering I'm being graded on writing files for it.

I like the way Vista works, BUT, I don't like the fact that it takes away my machine's performance, when it could do better with XP.

D-Lew said:
From what I can gather Matlab doesn't work properly on there, and I need that considering I'm being graded on writing files for it.
Its in the list above mate:)

I used Vista for the first time today on a friend's laptop. I started it up, logged in, THE FIRST THING I GOT!!! "Driver disabled due to compatibility issues" wow...great first impression. Vista = not a buy for me.

Jenox said:
I used Vista for the first time today on a friend's laptop. I started it up, logged in, THE FIRST THING I GOT!!! "Driver disabled due to compatibility issues" wow...great first impression. Vista = not a buy for me.

pwned, i jus like the way vista looks so thats why i just downloaded the visual theme.

Back
Top Bottom