My School is STUPID

drumthrasher

Fully Optimized
My school has this "new computer lab", I mean theres TONS of boxes still sitting there.

ANYWAY, they have all these new little dell computers with AMD "Business Class" X2 5200 (or similar) CPU's with 1GB of RAM. Now, they came preinstalled with Windows Vista Business 32-bit SP1, then they stupid formatted the HD and put XP Pro SP2 on there. Now most of you will think that is smart but I think that is the dumbest thing you could do! Vista is better than XP so why downgrade??

Here come the Vista bashers :D.

If your school is anything like my old highschool the answer could be one (or two) things:

1) The techs simply don't know vista well enough to support it if something happens

2) While unlikely at this time, it is still possible that what ever programs they use to monitor your computers is not compatible with vista. I would have thought that it would be easier/cheaper to just buy new monitoring software over a whole new volume license from MS.

When XP was new my school did the same thing with Windows 2000. They bought brand new systems with XP, then downgraded them all to 2k Pro... The reason is probably what Celegorm said, the techs just don't know it well enough, or the software wasn't compatible. It seemed stupid at the time to me as well, but makes more sense now. We are getting brand new systems in some labs this year, so we will see if they actually left Vista on them or not. Last year we got brand new systems and it was still XP.

I bet they just mass deployed a disk image to all of them with all the software and settings already set up. That way, they wouldn't have to go through configuring Vista.

yea i agree. its not that vista is worse, its that they will be running server 03 or something simular and having a vista machine may cause issues/they dont know the os as well.

I bet they just mass deployed a disk image to all of them with all the software and settings already set up. That way, they wouldn't have to go through configuring Vista.

yep, I knolw my school uses ghost, and I'm sure many others do too. Don't wanna have to mess with making new discs, and xp is better on those specs.

XP Images are hardware specific.

They are deploying XP so they can keep the same OS across all computers for support purposes. It's the smart move to do, moving to an OS like vista in a network enviroment is a big change.

only thing i have a prob with is they spent al the extra money lcinces aren't cheap your school should have just keep them as is.

XP Images are hardware specific.

They are deploying XP so they can keep the same OS across all computers for support purposes. It's the smart move to do, moving to an OS like vista in a network enviroment is a big change.
I know that, what I meant is that way they wouldn't have to go through reconfiguring everything to be compatible with Vista. They install everything to one machine, make an image, and deploy it to all the other machines.

Back
Top Bottom