My New Goodies

Computer Head

Fully Optimized
OK, so for my Christmas I got to spend up to $150 on whatever I want. I went a little bit over but I am allowed to pay the difference. I am working towards my CCENT certification (Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician), and figured that it would be easier to get some Cisco networking equipment to play with and experiment with, and it could easily be used later on if I decide to get another Cisco certification. So I got a Cisco Lab off of ebay, that came with a warranty and included two routers, a switch, and all the cables I would need, plus two transceivers (device that turns an AUI port into 10Mbps Ethernet). It cost me $189 plus about $40 to ship it. Below are some pictures ... tell me what you think!

100_0162.jpg

100_0163.jpg

100_0164.jpg

lol :D
nice stuff....should be usfull for the certification training

Yeah, i'm looking forward to playing with them more. I've configured the interfaces on the routers to talk to each other and general configuration to start with, hope to do more labs soon.

what does everything do?

The two bottom devices are routers, and the top one is a switch. The routers are usually placed at each location and connected to some type of WAN (wide area network) to link all the locations together. Right now, I have them connected with the serial cables (the two cables that cross each other) to simulate a frame relay network, but haven't gotten much farther yet.

Is this a firewall/Router?

These are corporate routers that basically take a WAN connection and "route" the signal through the proper interface. Most routers made by Cisco are designed to accept add-on modules for T1, CSU/DSU, Ethernet connections, etc., but this specific model (2500) doesn't accept those modules. Also there are certain models of these routers that have two Ethernet Interfaces that are called "Integrated Services Routers" (ISR) and you can basically connect a DSL modem to one interface and a switch to another and effectively replace that D-Link router with Cisco.

Basically, the simplest way I can explain a transciever is an adapter that converts an AUI connector (older-style Ethernet that uses a DB-15 connector (looks like a joystick)) into an RJ-45 connector. That's really about all it does. Look at this example:

netcard.gif

The long connector in the middle is an AUI connector (older networks used this instead of the usual RJ-45.

Any other questions can be asked and I will try my best to answer them.

Well the thing about Cisco (which makes it necessary) is that these devices have their own operating system, known as Cisco Internetwork Operating System (Cisco IOS). Basically you connect to these devices and manage them using a command line. I found some simulators on the Internet, but decided that it would be easier to just have my own equipment to move plugs and be able to disable and enable certain interfaces.

Nice stuff!

One question, how old are you?

Back
Top Bottom