Math question(simple)

I'm saying 288. So's Matlab.

That said, the notation is awful... it proves a point but this is the reason why you never see the ÷ sign in "proper" equations and brackets exist for a reason! While there is a "right" answer to this, I think it shows that if it looks ambiguous, put brackets...

Order of Operations

Some might argue that the multiplication 2(9+3) should happen before the division preceding it (result of the total equation would therefore be 2), but that is incorrect.

288 is the correct answer.

288 is the correct answer. Someone posted this on another forum and they are still arguing over there about whether it's 2 or 288.

288 is the correct answer. Someone posted this on another forum and they are still arguing over there about whether it's 2 or 288.
It seems like a moot point to me - the fact that it's causing so much controversy shows the main point - in situations like this, use brackets to show exactly what you mean otherwise people will get confused!

when I type this into my phone as it appears here, 48÷2(9+3). it automatically inserts the 'multiplication' symbol, 48÷2x(9+3). and answers 288.

Well, that's why we have the orders of operations. Part of the problem is that many of us were taught in school that multiplication has higher priority over division, but that is incorrect: Division is merely multiplication of the reciprocal of the number, so it carries the same weight, as it were, as multiplication.

On the same token, subtraction is the addition of a negative number.

Well, that's why we have the orders of operations. Part of the problem is that many of us were taught in school that multiplication has higher priority over division, but that is incorrect: Division is merely multiplication of the reciprocal of the number, so it carries the same weight, as it were, as multiplication.

On the same token, subtraction is the addition of a negative number.
Exactly, that's why people were getting 2 I think. Apparently what I posted is sweeping the internet as a controversial topic. I thought you guys would all get it right though, haha.

Back
Top Bottom